Details: Salaries are competitive and commensurate with experience
New Virginia Majority (NVM), Virginia’s leading civic engagement organization, builds power in working-class communities of color across the Commonwealth. We seek conscious and skilled individuals with a deep commitment to racial and economic justice to join our team. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. We are equal opportunity employers.
Asian American Pacific Islander Civic Engagement (ACE) Collaborative Community Organizer
New Virginia Majority is looking to hire a full-time community organizer for its Asian American Pacific Islander Civic Engagement (ACE) Collaborative to recruit, engage, and develop Asian American Pacific Islander members, leaders, and community-based leadership teams, and conduct political education trainings to increase AAPI participation in the electoral process. The ACE Collaborative community organizer will work to advance Pan-Asian narratives of Chinese, Filipinx, Korean, South Asian, and Vietnamese experiences and issues to ensure AAPI leadership and voices are represented in Virginia.
- Build independent political power for NVM and our partners through developing sustainable civic engagement programs, particularly in AAPI communities
- Build strong relationships and identify and develop leaders into clear membership roles through direct voter contact including knocking on targeted doors.
- Timely and aggressive follow up with leads generated by field efforts including one-on-one meetings, house visits and other methods of grassroots outreach.
- Manage regular membership meetings with a standing agenda and supporting new leaders to facilitate meetings geared towards peer engagement and immediate activation.
- Create actions, trainings, events and mobilization opportunities in communities and campuses to activate volunteers, members and activists.
- Track engagement of members and activists at various events in database.
- Develop the political consciousness of the affiliate organizations’ leaders through popular education, reflection, leadership development and developing appropriate educational materials.
- Participate in campaign development, strategizing and implementation.
- Provide materials for direct voter registration and volunteer engagement, i.e., turf, walk lists, scripts and voter registration materials.
- Coordinate with senior staff to support ongoing issue and electoral campaigns.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Committed to New Virginia Majority’s mission of social, racial and economic justice
- Minimum 1-2 years organizing experience and/or willingness to learn
- Strong commitment to civic engagement, community organizing and building power of underrepresented Asian communities through canvassing, phonebanking, and other methods of grassroots outreach.
- Ability to work in non-English speaking communities; Ability to speak Asian languages is a plus
- Enjoys meeting and interacting with new people, and people of all background and identities
- Ability to develop and maintain a variety of relationships on multiple levels.
- Self-motivated; works well both independently and on a team.
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, manage multiple projects.
- Ability to take direction and constructive feedback.
- Driver’s license and access to a car.
- A minimum one-year commitment to the position.
- Experience organizing immigrant communities is preferred.
Excellent benefits package, including health, vision, dental, and stipends for phone and transportation.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to email@example.com with the position name and preferred location in the subject header.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Due to the high volume of applications, we are not able to respond to applicants whose candidacy is not being pursued. No phone calls please.
New Virginia Majority (NVM), Virginia’s leading civic engagement organization, builds power in working-class communities of color across the Commonwealth. We organize around issues of racial, economic, and environmental justice year-round through political education, intensive leadership development, mobilization, and mass-scale voter outreach. We fight for a Virginia that is just, democratic and environmentally sustainable. We are an equal opportunity employer.