PO Box 2739
The Manager of Guest & Volunteer Services and Retail Operations is responsible for the leadership, daily operating and long-term vision for the guest services, retail operations, call center, ticketing and volunteer services areas. With the primary objective being an exceptional guest experience the role provides focus of these key areas with regard to the mission and goals of the Catalina Island Conservancy. The role would develop various programs that serve guests and volunteers with the goal to create enthusiasm and appreciation for the important role of the Conservancy on Santa Catalina Island. Quality, ability to work effectively with the public and operating in a cost-effective, profitable and first-class professional manner are key expectations of the Manager of Guest & Volunteer Services and Retail Operations team. This position is required to live on the island.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Develop a guest and volunteer services program that provides friendly service and allow for a high quality, positive, and memorable experience to the Conservancy lands including individual guests and groups.
· Mentor, train, supervise and council staff and volunteers in their daily roles, revenue production, guest experience quality, Conservancy history and educational content along with all protocols, rules guidelines set for each and every assignment.
· Evaluate staff/volunteer performance to include coaching, training and discipline. Continue to develop staff assignments to meet the goals of the department and Conservancy needs. Ability to work in a multi-faceted environment, with changing priorities while following the goals and direction of the Chief Operating Officer. This role will have ongoing shared goals along with expectation of achievement with a variety of departments.
· Establishes, directs and monitors daily operations and standards for the retail store to ensure guest satisfaction and maximum profitability.
· Buys, orders, inspects, prices and displays merchandise, oversees inventory and selects and oversees vendors.
· Plans and executes annual operating budget, retail strategy as well as marketing and merchandising plans.
· Interviews, trains, supervises, counsels, schedules and evaluates staff.
· Establishes annual and seasonal retail plans to achieve defined financial goals.
· Establishes, directs and monitors daily operating standards for all shops and retail support areas.
· Directs and monitors buying activities on site and provides information and feedback to corporate buyers where appropriate and needed.
· Order, stock, display, inventory and controls for the retail and food items in our inventory.
· Develop custom items that represent the desired image the Conservancy wishes to present.
· Develop just-in-time purchasing system to avoid shortages of key inventory items.
· Volunteer recruitment, record keeping on volunteer hours, skill listings for each available volunteer along with programs in order to enhance the volunteer experience. Ensure volunteers have safety equipment with them on any assignment (water, goggles, gloves, tools, etc.)
· Develop and post staff/volunteer assignment hours in a timely manner.
· Perform all roles/assignments of the Conservancy in a safe and effective manner.
· Program development, fee-based revenue production, ticketing systems, cash control management, budget and supervision are considered daily responsibilities of the role.
· Keep ticketing system current, make regular adjustments to front desk, retail spaces, phone recordings and ticketing system to meet the needs and abilities of the Conservancy.
· Oversee volunteer groups, give orientation, end assignments with thank you and confirm Project Leaders for each assignment. Review camps for inventory, cleanliness, safety equipment along with assistance of transportation based on need. Develop with team the annual volunteer thank you celebration.
· Maintain the yearly Master Volunteer Calendar of goals, bookings and assignments.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
· College degree preferred with 4 years of guest experience management with significant experience in retail.
· Exceptional oral and written communications skills as well as excellent presentation skills. Skills as an educator or ecology/geology/natural history/science-related knowledge is a plus.
Proven leadership skills and success in a team-first environment.
Strong language and communication skills are necessary. Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition and grammar, and appropriate wording of communication and correspondence in the workplace.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide, and use a calculator and an understanding of budgetary concepts and procedures.
Should have the ability to work with little or no supervision and establish objectives and priorities, manage time and progress, problem-solve, communicate needs, adjust, and complete assignments.
Strong computer and internet skills including the ability to type accurately. Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (especially Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and ability to use GroupWise functions such as email, calendar, and address books.
· Ability to stand for a full day providing exceptional guest service and supervision of staff/volunteers. Must be able to walk, climb, bend and stoop during field work on natural and man-made pathways.
· Experience and ability to train people in the proper use of equipment and provide guidance on suggested safety equipment.
· Ability to lift, walk with and relocate items up to 50 pounds. Ability to perform field work in the natural environment of Catalina with an expectation of weather changes where natural and living obstacles are present.
Primary location is an office environment. The work environment can vary from a quiet office to rugged outdoor Island locations and ability to operate a Conservancy vehicle.
· Must keep a flexible schedule including nights/holidays/weekends to best serve the role responsibilities along with providing an exceptional guest/volunteer experience. Will work a at least one weekend day per week.
· Valid California Driver’s License with Class B Commercial. No major driving citations in last three years. No DUI in last 5 years. Willingness and ability to safely drive a 15 passenger van on the paved and unpaved roads of Santa Catalina Island.
· Maintain current certificates in CPR/AED/First Aid.
Employee must live and work on Catalina Island
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
The Catalina Island Conservancy offers competitive compensation and a generous benefit package including, medical, dental, vision, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays and 403b.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: Please submit the following documents, preferably in a single PDF file, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org: A Cover Letter and Resume