Cities of Service is a national nonprofit organization that helps mayors and city leaders engage their citizens to build stronger communities. The organization provides technical assistance, programmatic support, planning resources, and funding opportunities to cities and their leadership. Founded in 2009 by New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, Cities of Service was originally incubated within Bloomberg Philanthropies and officially spun-off as an independent entity in February 2014. Today, Cities of Service supports a coalition of more than 235 cities, representing nearly 55 million people in 45 states, and more than 10 million people in the U.K.
The Communications Associate reports directly to the Director of Communications and supports the organization by communicating about its work and the work of its coalition cities with media, peer organizations, funders, potential funders, coalition member cities, and the public-at-large. The goal of this communication is to build and maintain relationships, attract potential new funders, and increase coalition size.
The ideal candidate has impeccable written and verbal communications skills and is able to tailor their communication content, style, and tone for different audiences. They are a highly productive, organized, focused, and motivated self-starter and team player who is able to prioritize effectively and maintain a positive attitude.
Cities of Service operates as a highly transparent, interdependent team. While each individual leads and supports discrete projects and initiatives, everyone works together to get the job done. This position provides the opportunity to learn within a results-driven, fast-paced, nimble organization, and is supported by a strong, experienced staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage Cities of Service social media presence, including actively listening to and engaging in conversations about relevant topics.
- Develop and implement digital campaigns—including the tracking and analyzing of performance, user, and other data—and make recommendations for improvement based on this analysis.
- Manage website operations, including making content updates, ongoing maintenance, and working closely with vendor on needed changes, enhancements, and fixes.
- Assist with the management and implementation of the editorial calendar, including managing projects and team members to deadlines.
- Assist Director of Communications and other staff with planning, production, and dissemination of content and materials across a variety of formats and platforms, including email, newsletters.
- Identify media stories, policy issues, and relevant current events that can be leveraged to support the work and outreach efforts of Cities of Service.
- Provide Cities of Service coalition cities with support to develop and share stories of impact with various audiences.
- Conduct research and coordinate materials and production for written, oral, and visual presentations.
- Assist with the development of event-related collateral and the marketing and communications plans affiliated with such events.
- Organize and manage communications contacts, assets, and marketing materials in a streamlined, efficient manner that allows for ease of access and use.
- Perform other duties as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 1-3 years of work experience in communications, marketing, government, political affairs, or campaigns
- Experience managing professional social media accounts
- Proficiency in Wordpress, Mailchimp, SproutSocial, and other platforms
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and implementation timelines simultaneously
- Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to detail
- Desire to learn, work hard, and collaborate
- Ability to work independently
- Experience writing, editing, and proofreading content for a variety of audiences and platforms
- InDesign, Photoshop, and digital asset management experience a plus
- Event planning, logistics, and coordination experience a plus
This is a full time, salaried position with Cities of Service. Position offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications without cover letters will not be considered. Cover letter should detail your interest and qualifications for why you are the right fit for the role. Please include three professional references that we may contact in the case that you are chosen as a finalist for the position.
Cities of Service is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all persons regardless of race, color, creed, gender, gender identity, religion, national origin or ancestry, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, physical or mental disability that can be reasonably accommodated, medical condition including genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, political affiliation, military status, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. Cities of Service also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception of said characteristics. Cities of Service is proud to be an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps and Peace Corps alumni applicants will receive special consideration.