Details: Salary for this position is commensurate with experience.
3820 Saint Claude Avenue
The Executive Director is the campus leader and head of school for Bard Early College in New Orleans (BECNO) and reports directly to the Dean of the Bard Early Colleges. The Executive Director is responsible for maintaining and strengthening BECNO’s academic excellence, rates of student success, mission-aligned leadership, standing in the New Orleans education community, and fiscal and operational sustainability. The Executive Director must be a compelling and passionate voice for liberal education for adolescents.
The position has an expected start date of October or November, but the timeline is flexible.
The responsibilities of the Executive Director span all aspects of BECNO’s organization. Central among these are:
- Oversee and support the work of the all BECNO staff and faculty, setting priorities and addressing challenges in academic standards, student services, school and community partnerships, classroom issues, and more
- Develop and implement a vision and strategy for the organization, including goal setting, program development, and data collection
- Plan and execute training opportunities and evaluation tools that ensure the professional development and growth of all members of BECNO’s staff and faculty
- Coordinate with the Bard Early College network to align BECNO staff and faculty on position-based skill development and network wide standards
- Recruit and hire a diverse staff and faculty team that is reflective of the BECNO student body
Academic and Program Leadership
- Lead BECNO’s academic programming and student supports to ensure that each student has access to an authentic and supportive undergraduate experience that prepares them for further college success
- Serve as the deciding voice in course curriculum development, faculty training, student services implementation, staff and faculty hiring, etc...
- Nurture a culture that is collegiate, supportive, and inclusive}
- Work with the Vice President of the Early Colleges to secure private and public funds every year equal to BECNO’s total operating budget and ensure BECNO’s financial stability
- Coordinate with charter school partners to secure per pupil and state allocated funds as appropriate
- Build a sustainable funding pipeline and maintaining relationships with key foundations, corporations, and other stakeholders to source potential opportunities for funding
- Collaborate with the Bard Early College network finance team to develop an annual budget and provide updates on both revenue and expenses
- Oversee all aspects of BECNO grant management and reporting
- Oversee partnerships with community organizations, school partners, and other stakeholders in order to maintain and build BECNO’s reach throughout the city and state
- Maintain relationships with the LA Department of Education and the LA Board of Regents in order to retain state funding and accreditation status
- Continue to grow and develop the BECNO advisory board; support recruitment and sourcing new members, facilitate quarterly committee meetings, and on-board new board members
Coordination with Bard College and Bard Early College Network
- Manages all aspects of BECNO’s relationship to Bard College (of which BECNO operates as a satellite campus) and the Bard Early College network
Preferred Qualifications (including educational and work experience):
The Executive Director should be eager to work in a deeply entrepreneurial setting; they should be practical, flexible, and eager to improve on established practices and policies. Commitment to the mission of the Bard Early Colleges is expected. The successful candidate will have:
- Master’s degree or higher
- 5-10 years of overall professional experience in nonprofit leadership, youth and student engagement, development and fundraising, or higher education
- Close knowledge of the New Orleans' school system
- Ability to inspire others to believe in BECNO’s mission and vision
Bard College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we strongly encourage applicants who will contribute to our diversity.
Minimum Education Required