Virginia Latina Advocacy Network (VA LAN) Field Coordinator
- Job posted by National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health
Details: Commensurate with experience
4304 Evergreen Lane
NLIRH seeks a Virginia Latina Advocacy Network (VA LAN) Field Coordinator. This is a new position, and we are looking for a committed individual who is passionate about organizing to raise the voices of Latinas in Virginia for policy change at all levels of government on issues that impact their lives, women’s health care and other social justice issues through grassroots advocacy. The VA LAN Field Coordinator will build the base of activists willing to take action on issues, develop community leadership, build relationships with key local, state and national stakeholders, partners, and elected officials, advance civic engagement strategies, and assist in campaign development and implementation. The position will work to expand the grassroots movement for Reproductive Justice in the Northern Virginia community. Candidates must have experience in community/political organizing, and a commitment to reproductive health and rights and/or social justice issues.
This position will directly report to the Director of Field and Advocacy.
- Build a cadre of Latina activists to advance and support the NLIRH agenda through organizing and outreach to community members and organizations.
- Manage day-to-day operations of LAN.
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with elected officials, community partners, and organizational allies.
- Lead community organizing and leadership development efforts, including:
- Activist management to conduct engagement activities including canvassing and/or phone bank operations, elected official outreach, community events such as educational workshops, health fairs and cultural festivals
- Build and track outreach activities;
- Develop a system of regular and consistent communication and relationship building with new and established VA LAN activists and leaders
- Implementation of agreed upon outreach and targeting plans
- Deliver trainings as part of overall leadership development plan.
- Supporting the Senior Field Coordinator in representing the interests of the VA LAN with State Voices/Virginia Civic Engagement Table and partner organizations.
- Develop and implement other campaigns in collaboration with the Community Mobilization team.
- Activate base to rapidly respond to urgent legislative issues.
- Work closely with the Senior Director for Community Engagement Programs and the Community Mobilization team on other Community Mobilization efforts, including our National Advocacy Weekend in Washington, D.C. and our annual National Latina Week of Action for Reproductive Justice.
- In conjunction with Sr. Field Coordinator, work collaboratively with the Government Relations and Public Affairs teams on grassroots advocacy and media efforts, as necessary.
- Serve as an NLIRH spokesperson for media and communications opportunities as determined.
- Track and report progress on programmatic goals, as well as track and report programmatic expenses in a timely manner.
- Draft public education materials for print and website publication.
- Travel required.
- Prior community organizing or leadership development experience is required.
- Have a working understanding of the structure of the state; knowledge of the Northern Virginia landscape is required.
- Knowledge and commitment to reproductive health and rights and/or social justice issues.
- Preference given to candidates with relationships with key community based organizations in the area.
- Fluency in written and spoken Spanish is required.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and ideally own transportation.
- Strong communication skills, including comfort with public speaking.
- Ability to multi-task with attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently, think critically and creatively, and take initiative.
- Ability to work well with a team and take direction and feedback.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office, database management/web/online tools, and social media/new media technologies.
NLIRH offers excellent benefits, including health insurance, vacation and sick leave. Comp days for work-related travel. $750 towards Professional Development.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in written and spoken Spanish is required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your resume, cover letter, and a brief writing sample (2-3 pages) via e-mail to email@example.com. Please include in the subject line: Applicant - VA LAN Field Coordinator.