Details: health insurance (half covered)
143 Waverly Avenue
SEEKING A MINDFUL, ENGAGING HEAD TEACHER TO JOIN OUR DYNAMIC INSTRUCTIONAL TEAM FOR PROGRESSIVE, PROJECT-BASED EDUCATION
OUR MISSION: At our unique school, the world of the family, the world of the educator and the world of the child weave to create a nurturing, dynamic and creative environment for learning and growth. Our goal is to nourish all aspects of the child and enrich each child vividly through peace, nature, and the arts.
• Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree is preferred.
• New York State teacher certification (or eligibility for reciprocity) is a plus.
• A love for LEARNING as well as teaching is essential
• Familiarity with SEL (social emotional learning) and mindfulness approaches is helpful.
• Interest in collaborative work dynamics with other educators and staff is essential
• Compassionate understanding of children is essential
+ Holistic, creative lesson planning skills and engaging peace-based classroom management skills are all valued.
• Experience in special education and/or gifted education is a plus, but not a requirement.
• Evidence of wide-ranging intellectual and educational interests must be shared.
• Criminal background check (fingerprinting clearance) along with State clearance is required.
• Three (3) professional references are essential.
QUALIFICATIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Alignment with Trilok School’s vision, mission, core beliefs and educational philosophy is non-negotiable -- read our website for this. www.trilokschool.org
• Applicant must be able to build strong student, parent and family relationships.
• Teachers must be driven to improve the minds and lives of students in and out of the classroom.
• Evidence of self-motivation and willingness to be a team player is crucial, since collaboration is an important part of the Trilok Team
• Teacher must be able to develop fluent readers and critical thinkers, demonstrating success in moving students to heir highest performance.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English are crucial.
• One must be willing to engage in frequent dialogue and to be relentlessly self-reflective and self-directed in regards to personal teaching practices.
• One must hold a commitment to analyzing student’s academic achievement and to using assessment data to inform and drive instruction.
• Willingness to do whatever it takes so that students do not fail is treasured.
+An ability to be a staff team player, contribute your unique gifts and energies to the school and support the overall mission and structure of the organization is needed.
• Write summary reports on student progress as needed.
• Serve as a resource to promote parental and familial support toward meeting Trilok’s goals.
• Collaborate with other Head and Assistant Teachers regularly.
• Design and implement assessments that measure progress toward academic standards.
• Create a positive, structured learning environment to ensure that students observe the school’s core values of high expectations and behavioral norms.
• Show and demonstrate an unwavering commitment to your students and their learning.
• Demonstrate a relentless drive to improve the lives, minds and characters of our boys and girls, both in and out of school.
• Ensure that the school’s academic standards are rigorous, clear, and measurable and aligned with NYS and Common Core Learning Standards.
• Submit bi-weekly lesson plans to the Educational Director for every unit one week in advance.
• Develop relevant curriculum, addressing varying learning styles and needs.
• Work with grade-level and school-wide teams to develop curriculum and create strategic action plans.
• Maintain close relationships with parents/guardians.
• Assist the school’s professional development endeavors.
• Maintain a child-friendly classroom environment that celebrates student learning with authentic standards-based content.
• Adhere to all state and federal mandates in reporting sexual or physical abuse and neglect.
• Maintain an open-door policy.
• Publish new content on all exterior bulletin boards on a monthly basis.
• Assist with school dismissal and daily homework.
• Adhere to a longer academic school day and year, including attending professional development before school begins, weekly professional development, and frequent staff meetings.
We offer a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience. Aside from extensive professional development, all of our teachers are equipped with computer, email, high-speed Internet access, and all necessary instructional supplies.
PROFESSIONAL LEVEL: Professional
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED: 4-year degree
Teachers are encouraged to bring their creative whole self to the work.
Teachers can gain a strong sense of belonging in this warm Community School environment.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual education is valued in our school but not required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Trilok School’s Directorial team is interested in learning more about you.
Along with your resume, we would love to receive a cover letter with some thoughts pertinent to this specific job and special school.
Please take a few moments to write us short but thoughtful answers to these questions:
1. What does the term “peace education” mean to you?
2. Who is a humanitarian hero that you love to teach children about, and why? What would you do to help children understand this hero?
3. Name a favorite children’s book/author you love to share with children, and why.
4. Please review Trilok School’s website, including its on-line curriculum companion, and write a short reflexion on how your educational approach connects with The Trilok vision.
We will review your responses, and be in touch with candidates early next week to make interview dates. Thanks so much.
From Trilok School