Details: Salary Commensurate with experience
729 Carroll Street
Old First, founded in 1654, the first congregation in Brooklyn, announces a new position at the church. We are looking for a person with entrepreneurial instincts, passion for community outreach, and a desire to contribute to the transformation of a pillar of the Park Slope (and wider) community. Old First is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
- Manage expenses, payroll, checking and savings accounts
- Process payroll, sign checks, do EFT transfers
- Research expenses for stewardship and economy, with ongoing cost reviews
- Reconcile QuickBooks monthly: donations, rentals, invoices, petty cash, deacons counts
- Maintain chart of accounts, balance sheet usage, and act as control point
- Maintain treasurer documents, especially in Google Drive
- Manage insurance, disability, unemployment, pensions, classis assessments, etc.
- Manage relationships with vendors, tenants, denomination, treasurer, government (workers’ comp, unemployment), and Administration and Finance Committee (A&F)
- Manage grants
- Manage budgeting and forecasting, dealing with variances
- Cultivate financial reporting and accounting policies
- Report monthly and annually to consistory and church committees
- Monthly Finance Report to A&F and consistory, annual report to classis
- Attend meetings as necessary
- Assist officers and committees with requests for data for grants, proposals, and etc.
- Oversee tenants and rentals: Ensure policies among tenants, provide point-of-contact for policy-level questions
- Manage personnel: secretary, sexton, security, and vendors
- Manage facilities: tenants, repairs, insurance, infrastructure, contracting, etc.
- Support pastor, clerk, treasurer, committees, and volunteers
- Manage communications and events
- Oversee all printed, digital, and posted materials
- Oversee website, website hosting, email accounts, and social media
- Coordinate updates to church website and blog, and also post directly
- Oversee Old First Google Drive and documents management
- Manage and support volunteers
- Excellent management skills, 5+ years of experience, preferably non-profit
- Strong decision-making skills, highly organized and able to balance multiple projects and stakeholders
- Understanding of and enthusiasm for non-profit and community-based organizations
- Willingness and interest in building relationships within Old First, relative to this position
- Strong financial understanding, including basic accounting; proficiency in Excel and QuickBooks
- Excellent technical skills including fluency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Docs.
- Excellent written, verbal, and communication skills; proficiency in developing reports
The Finance and Operations Director will be responsible to the church treasurer on financial matters, and be supervised by a two-person team of the consistory (i.e. the church’s board).
Please send your cover letter and résumé to oldfirstFODjob@gmail.com.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Full-time, part-time, or contract
Contact: Sandra Francois
Subject line: FOD Job posting