Black Women for Wellness is a grassroots nonprofit organization dedicated to the health and wellness of Black women and girls through education, advocacy, outreach and research in California. We are looking for a Health Educator. The position can be located in Los Angeles or Stockton California.
The youth organizer and engagement coordinator will lead Black Women for Wellness’ work around youth engagements, specifically education and engagement in our reproductive justice programming. This includes leading workshops, creating materials, recruiting and training peer educators, and developing and implementing curriculum directly with and for youth.
Principal Function and Responsibility:
- Creating culturally congruent health-related material for youth
- Recruiting and organizing young people
- Training and facilitating health workshops
- Advocating for health resources and policies
- Assist with the development and implementation of sex education curriculum
- Writing and developing digital media
- Preparing reports for management and other stakeholders
- Advocating for improved health resources and policies
- Collecting data and other information to analyze needs and evaluate programs
- Develop new ideas for workshops, materials, gaming, etc.
- Develop and maintain professional contact/relationships with schools, community leaders as applicable.
- Light travel throughout California and nationally
- Grant writing and reporting
- Heavy outreach work with community partners in the South Los Angeles and Stockton Area
- Other office duties as required
Position can also be located in Stockton, California.
- Minimum of four years of experience with youth, preferred experience with youth of color and LGBTQ+ youth
- BA/BS in health education, Social Science(Psychology, Sociology, Ethnic Studies, Anthropology, etc.), education, public health, or related field.
- Deep knowledge of reproductive and sexual health
- Experience facilitating and training young people
- Experience organizing young people
- Ability to create and deliver creative content
- Excellent communication skills
- Multitasking and analytical skills, ability to juggle multiple job responsibilities
- Ability to relate to diverse communities including Black young adults.
- Share BWW values and mission
- Responsive to new ideas and situations.
- Self-starter and needs little supervision
- Proficient with Microsoft office programs including: Word, Excel and Powerpoint. Wordpress
- Ability to work weekends and/or evening
- Reliable transportation
- Experience with email content management like Mailchimp or Constant Contact
- Solid skills to create, develop, and implement long and short term digital communications plans, including calendars and campaigns
- An excellent eye for detail
- Passion and commitment to youth and bettering the community
- Sense of humor.
- Knowledge of Black communities/working with Black communities a plus
- Deep understanding and history of Reproductive Justice
- Experience working on high school and college campus
- Experience grant writing
- Experience with doing community participatory research
Annual Salary Range: $55,000 - $65,000 depending on experience
Black Women for Wellness is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, national or ethnic origin, disability, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, or religious affiliation. All are encouraged to apply.