Ascend seeks a lead maintenance and HVAC technician whose primary responsibilities will include general inspections, troubleshooting, and repair of all HVAC systems and types. The lead technician will also be responsible for assisting with electrical, plumbing, fire alarm and facility repairs; and scheduling of repairs and maintenance for all other building systems as needed. This role will ensure repairs are completed safely, with quality workmanship and attention to detail, maintaining a beautiful and functional space for our students and staff to teach and learn.
Why join Ascend Public Charter Schools?
Ascend is a network of K-12 public charter schools serving 5,500 students in 15 schools across Brooklyn—New York's most populous borough. Our undertaking is to lead our students on a great intellectual adventure, provide them with an exceptional college preparatory education, and place them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We guide our students to think critically and independently, and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world. We foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. And we design our school buildings to reflect the incredible accomplishments that happen within their walls and our high aspirations for teaching and learning.
To create this kind of vibrant learning community, we invest heavily in our faculty by providing ongoing professional training and support, and encourage our educators to collaborate closely and push each other to achieve great outcomes.
Our school buildings
We believe that our school buildings should reflect the incredible accomplishments that happen within their walls. All Ascend schools are housed in inviting, newly renovated buildings where every detail is chosen to communicate our aspirations for teaching and learning. See where we work.
For primary responsibilities, the lead HVAC technician will:
- respond to requests for repair via the Ascend ticketing system within the recommended time frame and embody a customer service orientation when responding to tickets;
- complete diagnostic troubleshooting of the HVAC System utilizing wiring diagrams and schematics and perform the preventative maintenance of the facility HVAC equipment;
- assist in the maintenance and repair of mechanical systems, such as plumbing, heating, ventilating, and air conditioning systems;
- complete the installation, operations, repair and maintenance of building mechanical systems and equipment including the installation of replacement compressors, evaporator coils, blower motors and dampers;
- undertake minor electrical maintenance and repair including but not limited to troubleshooting electrical low voltage wiring for controls and high voltage for compressors and air handlers, and servicing and maintaining Mitsubishi split units, LG Split units, Trane split units and Carrier package units;
- repair low-voltage PA and LAN cabling;
- identify areas to improve efficiencies including cost savings measures;
- perform custodial duties as required including plumbing repairs; and
- maintain log on all equipment and maintain inventories of construction supplies used in the technician's work, such as paint, tiles, filters, belts, and detailed records of where each such supply is used in each facility.
Additionally, the lead HVAC technician should be able to assist with or be willing to learn how to:
- prepare and paint walls and woodwork or perform other types of refinishing;
- repair VCT and carpeted floors;
- replace damaged ceiling tiles;
- fix doors and locks;
- install glass in windows, doors, and partitions;
- build, repair, and install counters, cabinets, benches, partitions, floors, doors, and trim; use carpenter's hand tools and power tools;
- unpack, assemble, and install furniture and fixtures;
- demolition when required for in house projects;
- operate snow plow or snow blower to clear sidewalk areas; and
- other duties as assigned
Staff and reporting relationshipsQualifications
The lead HVAC technician reports to the director of facilities and will work closely with Ascend's assistant principals of operations to coordinate building related repairs and maintenance at Ascends 15 schools.
- Possess an EPA card
- Have a working knowledge of all trades related to facility maintenance
- Extensive mechanical ability and aptitude on all mechanical systems
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and related office products
- Proven ability to work professionally and cooperate with others
- Demonstrates attention to detail in all facets of position
- Develops and implements cost saving measures
- Conserves organizational resources
- 3 to 5 years related experience in HVAC industry experience
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret city regulations
- Ability to apply concepts such as formulas, fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with multiple variables
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions
- Ability to work alone
- Must be able to perform the following physical activities during a normal work-day: stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, climb or balance, talk, hear and smell
- Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds, one-third of time at work
- Must have the following vision requirement: close vision, distance vision, color vision, and depth perception
- Must be able to perform duties under the following environmental conditions: work near moving mechanical parts, work in high, precarious places with potential exposure to work environments containing fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, outdoor weather conditions, extreme cold and heat (non-weather), risk of electrical shock and occasional loud noise
<img src="https://www.click2apply.net/v/p7kXAyirnM6JijmyINKVd" />