One East 53rd Street
Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts seeks a new Legal Services Coordinator
MISSION AND PROGRAMMING
Since 1969, Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts (VLA) has been the leading provider of low-cost and pro bono legal services to low-income individual artists and nonprofit arts organizations in the New York area. VLA addresses a broad range of needs that low-income artists cannot otherwise afford, including legal counseling, educational programs, advocacy, and alternative dispute resolution. Without our help, some of the most creative and vulnerable members of our society would be left without a means to protect themselves and their creative endeavors.
LEGAL SERVICES COORDINATOR ROLE
VLA seeks a Legal Services Coordinator with a passion for the arts and public service, and who is excited to hit the ground running and take an active role in VLA’s programming and services. This role is an integral part of a small, collaborative team, working directly with VLA’s Director of Legal Services and Staff Attorney. This is a full-time position, based in VLA’s midtown Manhattan office.
- Oversee intake with prospective clients, which includes: assessing potential VLA cases, ensuring receipt of pertinent information regarding legal matters, ensuring accurate and timely internal record-keeping on all client communication
- Manage client correspondence
- Manage the scheduling of client consultations and legal clinics, and communicating with consulting attorneys
- Process and track client files following consultation
On-site Volunteer and Legal Intern Management
- Train and supervise in-house legal interns and volunteers on intake procedures and information management
- Coordinate intern and volunteer schedules
Pro Bono Coordination
- Serve as point-of-contact for all pro bono inquiries from attorneys and law firm personnel, and manage placement of clients with volunteer attorneys
- Track client matters in VLA’s internal database
- Present orientation trainings to prospective volunteer attorneys
- Draft and edit legal memoranda related to client consultations and pro bono referrals
- Represent VLA at pro bono and internship recruitment fairs
- Assist with the organization of trainings, special events, and outreach activities
- Provide reports and other information requested from operations and development team
Other tasks, as assigned
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Passion for VLA’s mission to serve the arts community
- Experience working with individual attorneys, law firms, and/or legal services organizations
- Self-motivated and self-directed team-player
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and in writing
- Ability to prioritize and manage a high-volume workload under deadline
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Creative problem-solver
- Strong writing and proofreading skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with multiple players and stakeholders
- Experience working in a fast-paced, dynamic office environment
- Supervisory and management experience
- Strong computer skills
- Bachelor’s Degree
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: VLA offers attractive compensation and benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: All nominations, inquiries, and applications should be sent to Jesús López, Office Manager at email@example.com and will be held in confidence. Please include cover letter, resume and 2-3 writing samples. Subject line: Legal Services Coordinator Position
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We are committed to enhancing our diverse workforce by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.
We regret it will not be possible to communicate with candidates except those who most closely match our requirements.