Details: Hourly rate ranges from $12.50 to $23.50 per hour depending on experience and skill level.
675 South Clinton Avenue
Provide safe, inclusive instruction to youth in basic circus disciplines, including juggling, tumbling and balancing
Lead group activities including team-building games and group discussions
Act as a role model for teenagers
Support individuals in achieving their training goals
Supervise "pop-up" events
May include driving duties
Hours are 4-7:30pm up to five days per week. A regular schedule can be created to match the availability of a qualified individual. Additional hours available for those aged 21+ with clean driving license.
· At least three years’ experience teaching or coaching youth in a creative, physical setting e.g. gymnastics, rhythmic gymnastics, dance, physical theater, martial arts, outdoor activities or circus arts. This experience may have been gained while at school, through work in summer camps or similar.
· Strong commitment to inclusion and diversity and competence teaching outside own culture.
· Willingness to acquire new skills. Note that absolute skill level is not our top priority, but the successful candidate will have a natural curiosity to learn new skills, as well as be skillful in the area where they have teaching experience.
· Familiarity with a range of circus skills, including basic individual and partner acrobatics, juggling and balancing.
· Experience working with youth to develop performance
· Intermediate or advanced skill in one or more circus disciplines
· Experience working in a social circus setting
· Social work qualification or equivalent experience
· Experience in youth program design and development
· Knowledge of positive youth development
· Experience using teaching tools that address the creation of stereotypes based on race, gender, sexual identity or ethnicity.
· Ability to structure and lead instructional sessions for 25 adolescents
· Ability to direct other coaching staff
· Ability to write news updates to families and make notes on youth skill level
· Ability to use a computer to capture data e.g. complete surveys; create, edit and save Word and Excel files.
· Clean driving license
Trenton Circus Squad seeks to ensure that its employees reflect the community that it serves. We strongly encourage inquiries from applicants resident in Trenton, or with strong local ties.
Use of circus arts training facilities
Meals while working
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter showing work and volunteer experience.
The cover letter should include a description of your experience working with youth in a physical setting. This may include sports, gymnastics, dance, marshall arts, circus arts, physical theater or outdoor pursuits. Include any experience as a volunteer or camp counselor.
Applicants with no experience of working with youth in a physical setting will not be considered.
Applications without a cover letter will NOT be considered.