The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a new university, based in Rwanda, that aims to train a new generation of clinician-leaders to tackle the toughest problems in global health. UGHE is seeking a full-time Humanities faculty member to teach liberal arts and humanities in its new medical degree program.
Founding faculty in the UGHE medical program will be responsible for working as part of a team to develop and teach courses using cutting-edge pedagogical methods. UGHE students will develop a global perspective of the humanities, learning about the human condition through the eyes of the oppressed, the marginalized, and the poor. This faculty member must have a deep commitment to excellence in teaching and a broad and foundational expertise in the humanities. UGHE faculty members will also be encouraged to conduct research and pursue external grant funding.
- Lead the development and improvement of longitudinal, integrated courses in the humanities
- Oversee the integration of English language skills development (including speaking, writing, reading, and listening skills) into the medical degree curriculum
- Coach students as they improve their English language skills
- Develop learning objectives for full courses and individual lessons, align instruction with learning objectives, and assess student learning against objectives
- Develop, or research and source, course materials to be integrated into student assignments, including readings and teaching videos
- Deliver interactive and engaging classroom instruction
- Organize all course materials in a clear, presentable way on the UGHE learning management system
- Implement evidence-based continuous improvement of teaching and courses
- Contribute to research at UGHE and to the development of a UGHE research agenda
- Mentor and advise students and supervise student research projects
- Manage course supplies, including ordering, stocking, preparation, and distribution
- Manage student records and grades
- Serve on university committees and represent the university on external committees as assigned
- Perform additional duties as required
- Earned doctoral degree in a related field (literature, history, art, or the social sciences); exceptional candidates with master’s degrees will be considered
- Experience with teaching and curriculum development in higher education
- Proven subject matter expertise and teaching experience in the humanities, particularly African literature, history, and/or social sciences
- Familiarity and experience with managing small-group classes and discussions
- Experience with mentoring students to improve their written and spoken communication in English
- Track record of excellence in teaching and a passion for learning new material and teaching methods
- Track record of research productivity with peer-reviewed publications
- Fluency in English required; French or Kinyarwanda language skills desired
The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a new kind of university focused on training the next generation of global leaders in health care delivery. The university launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with its flagship degree program: the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery. Through an academic experience uniquely rooted in the values of equity, students are empowered to both ease suffering at the bedside and drive transformational, systemic changes in health care.
UGHE is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. Over three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high quality health care to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima (IMB) - PIH’s sister organization - and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
The Bachelors of Medicine, Bachelors of Surgery (MBBS) program, to be launched in July 2019, aims to improve individual and population health by training diverse clinician leaders with the skills, attitudes, and commitment to promote wellness, to ease suffering, and to develop more effective and equitable health care delivery systems. Consistent with UGHE’s vision of training future leaders with expertise in health care delivery, MBBS students will also be granted the MGHD degree. In 2017, the Center for Nursing and Midwifery Leadership (CNML) was developed to address the gaps in nursing and midwifery education and to meet the needs of the health care system and most vulnerable patients around the globe.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in their drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in needed, listen to and learn from others, and operate with honesty and humility as they uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
Partners In Health is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UGHE faculty will be based at our campus in Butaro, Northern Rwanda. The campus is situated in a scenic area with a mild climate year-round. New, on-campus housing is available for full-time faculty. UGHE also offers a competitive salary and health care benefits. Faculty moving to UGHE from outside of Rwanda for this position will receive a relocation allotment and an annual stipend for travel to their home countries for themselves and eligible dependents.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants should provide: (1) a curriculum vitae, (2) a cover letter, (3) a personal statement addressing teaching philosophy and experience working with diverse student populations, and (4) names and contact information of three professional references who can attest to experience in education, leadership and management experience, and/or experience in academic administration. Please upload your cover letter and personal statement as a single file under "Additional Files" on the application page. The successful candidate will start no later than January, 2019. Please apply by July 15, 2018 for full consideration of your application.