CEO - Habitat for Humanity of Sonoma County
- Job posted by Center for Volunteer & Nonprofit Leadership
3273 Airway Dr
ABOUT HABITAT FOR HUMANITY OF SONOMA COUNTY
Habitat for Humanity of Sonoma County partners with people in our community to help them build or improve a place they can call home. Habitat homeowners help build their own homes alongside volunteers and pay an affordable mortgage. Habitat for Humanity of Sonoma County is celebrating its 34th year in Sonoma and is an affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International, the world's largest builder of affordable housing. The Board of Directors has launched an ambitious plan to address the staggering shortage of affordable housing in Sonoma County. This is now even more important with the significant losses due to the wildfires.
Habitat for Humanity of Sonoma County is looking for a dynamic, passionate professional to lead the organization through this exciting period of growth to scale the organization by adopting innovative approaches to meet the demand of fire survivor families in need of housing. It is the ideal position for an executive who wants to combine professional achievement with enriching the lives of individuals. The ideal Chief Executive Officer thrives in a dynamic, demanding environment with a variety of stakeholders.
The executive will be equally comfortable as the public face of Habitat for Humanity of Sonoma County as they are juggling the myriad of details on a construction project.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is a strong visionary leader who works in partnership with the Board of Directors to develop goals and strategies consistent with the vision, mission and values of Habitat for Humanity of Sonoma County (Habitat Sonoma). The CEO is responsible for the effective financial, operational and administrative management of the Habitat Sonoma affiliate, in accordance with the direction, policies and objectives set by the Board of Directors.
• Ensure that programs and services continue to be maintained at the highest level.
• Develop and oversee all operational policies, procedures and processes to achieve short and long- term goals and objectives.
• Serve as the face of the Habitat Sonoma affiliate throughout the community. Interface with professional organizations, economic development interests, and religious and social service groups in an effort to promote and enhance Habitat for Humanity’s activities. As appropriate serve on community boards and committees.
• Hire for and enhance a positive working environment that motivates and encourages staff to participate fully in the mission of the organization.
Fundraising and Communication
• Develop and implement a fund development strategy utilizing multiple methods in conjunction with the Board of Directors.
• Seek revenue opportunities, donations and grants and provide for all compliance requirements.
• Oversee outreach, advocacy, branding and marketing strategies. Ensure traditional and digital marketing and communications to support the message and brand.
• Act as the media spokesperson.
• Working with the Board, develop and implement financial and operational priorities.
• Working closely with senior managers, administer fiscal control, accountability, budget and key performance indicator reporting, and approve all operational and building expenditures.
• Ensure the development of construction plans to facilitate construction of housing projects for Board approval. These plans would include the development and coordination of volunteers, paid staff and both paid and contributed materials.
• Provide inspirational leadership and direction, developing leaders within the organization who share passion for the mission.
• Facilitate collaboration and strong internal communication with staff creating a positive work environment.
• Ensure relevant and up to date practices and policies are in place; accountability, including performance reviews.
• Supervise and direct both paid and volunteer staff resources including but not limited to the evaluation of their performance, hiring, termination and providing overall direction for the personnel function and activities.
• Cultivate a strong, diverse, inclusive and highly engaged Board.
• Present timely and accurate information to the Board regarding the status of agreed upon objectives, finances, staffing and other relevant issues.
• Provide support to the Board and various committees.
• Assist Board Chair in agenda setting, attend all required Board and committee meetings and provide reports of all affiliate activities to the Board.
• College degree or equivalent work experience.
• At least 5 years of senior nonprofit or corporate management experience.
• Experience serving or working for/with a Board of Directors.
• Ability to set clear priorities, delegate, and guide investment in strategies, people, and systems.
• Excellent coalition building skills and the ability to communicate and work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
• History with creating and implementing comprehensive strategic fund raising plans, including grant writing.
• Successful work in nonprofit financial management including developing, executing, tracking, and reporting operating budgets.
• Administration of Human Resources including contract negotiations, recruitment, training, development, and supervision of a diverse team.
• Outstanding presentation and communication skills and ability to serve as an effective and inspiring spokesperson, advocate, relationship builder and fundraiser.
• Experience developing, leading or managing traditional and multi-platform marketing and social media campaigns that foster positive stakeholder, donor, client and community relationships.
• Keen analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills, which support decision-making.
• Ability to effectively work with staff, volunteers, members of the public, selected homeowners, community leaders and elected officials.
• Capable of working under pressure, working within time constraints and meeting deadlines.
• Strong project management skills and experience.
• An understanding of retail, real estate development, construction operations a plus.
• Understanding and experience working with nonprofit volunteer driven organizations.
• Experience and comfort working with Microsoft Word, Excel, CRM and other software.
• Strong commitment to community service.
• Sensitive to issues of confidentiality and diversity.
• Valid California Driver’s License and insurance.
The person in this position:
• Must be able to operate a computer and other office machines, i.e., calculator, copy machine, printer.
• Must be able to concentrate, communicate, express oneself, and exchange information.
• Must able to reach overhead, grasp, push, and pull objects such as files and file cabinet drawers and to lift, reach, raise or lower objects up to 25 lbs.
This search is being conducted by Center for Volunteer & Nonprofit Leadership.
Habitat for Humanity of Sonoma County is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of qualifications. Policy prohibits unlawful discrimination in any employment decision based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance or regulation.
Submission of your application is not an offer of employment or an employment contract.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, exempt position with benefits. It may be necessary to occasionally work extra hours on some evenings and/or weekends.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To be considered as an applicant:
• Email PDF Resume and Cover Letter in confidence to: email@example.com
• Include in the Subject line: “Habitat Sonoma CEO Search”
*Applications without a cover letter will not be considered; documents must be submitted online.