Pennsylvanians for Modern Courts (PMC) is a statewide nonpartisan nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing judicial modernization and reform, equal access to justice and civic education about the judiciary in Pennsylvania. In addition to advocating for systemic policy changes, such as merit selection of statewide appellate judges, PMC engages in numerous educational and reform initiatives.
PMC seeks an experienced individual to serve in the newly created Director of External Affairs position. The Director will lead the development and implementation of a strategic communication plan to support all of the organization’s community engagement efforts, including press relations, educational programming, advocacy and special events, with the goal of building broad community awareness and understanding of PMC’s efforts and initiatives.
The Director of External Affairs will maintain and expand PMC’s multimedia communication tools, manage production/logistics, create compelling and up-to-date content for distribution through the PMC website, workshops, videos, newsletters, social media and other media platforms. Working with experts, the Director will also develop and update the content of all PMC programming and increase the reach and impact of PMC’s programming by partnering with organizations and media outlets serving specific communities.
- Develop and execute strategic communications plan to maximize impact with target audiences and increase stakeholder awareness, knowledge and understanding of PMC’s initiatives
- Effectively maintain existing relationships with community partners and develop new community relationships
- Develop data and draft communications for PMC, including writing/editing op-eds, fact sheets, talking points, event briefings, meeting summaries, press releases and media advisories
- Working with subject matter experts, expand PMC in the Community™ workshops and initiatives, as well as the content of other PMC programs
- Manage the Programming Coordinator’s activities
- Organize site visits, panel discussions and other engagement events
- Capture relevant stories in real-time through conversations with team members and volunteers and use them to communicate PMC’s mission and accomplishments
- Manage online activities, including updates to, and maintenance of, the website
- Draft talking points and guidance for speeches, presentations, media inquiries and publications;
- Evaluate results and impact of communications activities; report on developments, trends and attitudes regarding PMC’s key initiatives and reforms
- Create, update and maintain coordinated editorial and production calendars that maximize PMC’s work with stakeholders
- Perform other related duties as requested by the President & CEO
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5+ years professional experience, functioning successfully as a communications strategist in a political environment, preferably in social justice or civic education
- Success working on issue-based communications and/or policy advocacy through messaging, positioning, media and communications strategy, journalism, branding and constituent engagement
- Demonstrated focused, flexible, creative and systemic capabilities in work and leadership style
- Powerful strategic thinking skills
- Outstanding analytical, interpersonal and written and oral communication skills in positions requiring communicating with broad and diverse audiences
- Demonstrated ability to achieve sustainable results in a complex, dynamic and results-oriented organization where ability to work cross-functionally is critical
- Entrepreneurial and creative spirit
- Highly proficient at establishing strong partnerships across organizations and developing powerful messages for different constituencies
- High standard of quality and attention to detail
- Ability to become conversant quickly in PMCs work, a hunger to understand our work, and the skills to communicate with experts
- Natural sense of effective graphic design and experience with and competency in design software such as Illustrator, PowerPoint, and/or others
- Knowledge of and experience with data base systems such as Salesforce
- Demonstrated cultural proficiency and awareness
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team
- Fiscal accountability and budget management experience
- Master’s Degree
- Bilingual or multilingual, with a preference for Spanish proficiency
- Familiarity with Cision, Drupal and video editing and production
Job Type: Full-time
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingualism or multilingualism (with a preference for Spanish) is preferred, but not required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter explaining why you are a good fit for the position.