Nurse II - Cape Cod CCS
Hyannis, Barnstable, MA 02601, USA
Bay Cove Human Services, Inc. a leading Massachusetts human services organization, seeks a Nurse II to join us in our mission to provide high-quality services to adults who face the life-long challenges of mental illness, aging and drug and alcohol dependency. The Nurse II will be responsible for the care of patients in the unit and asses changes in patient conditions. The detoxification center is an acute treatment facility which provides medically monitored services to men and women who need short-term detoxification from alcohol, heroin and other opiates.
We are looking for someone who strive to:
- Challenge thinking.
- Be different.
- Lead change.
Bay Cove is looking for people who are inspired and inspiring.
- Medicate PRN, according to standing orders.
- Telephone and initial screen of all patients for admission, obtaining an as medically accurate history as possible.
- Keep accurate nursing notes describing patients' physical conditions and activities.
- Record all medications.
- Narcotic count at beginning and end of shift.
- Thoroughly and accurately report patients' status for the oncoming shift.
- Report unusual events to Director of Nurses, Director or Assistant Director.
- Observe for signs and symptoms of medication toxicity/psychiatric in the dually diagnosed.
- Conduct condition checks every hour and more frequently as required in the disorganized and suicidal client.
- Participate in ongoing discharge planning with counseling staff and administrators.
- Plans with the patient, family and physician for initial and on-going home health services.
- Evaluates patient care needs upon admission to the adult day health program and regularly re-evaluates the patient’s nursing needs.
- Initiates, reviews and implements the nursing care plan for each patient based on the nursing assessment and prescribed plan of treatment and revises when indicated.
- Provides skilled nursing services, including administration of medications and treatments as prescribed in the physician’s care plan.
- Reviews and implements physician’s orders.
- Teaches the patient regarding self-care, coping and preventive health measures.
- Initiates appropriate preventive and rehabilitative nursing procedures.
- Observes, evaluates and reports on the patient’s physical and emotional status to the nursing supervisor and the attending physician whenever change occurs, including reactions to treatment and drugs.
- Provides patient progress reports to attending physician whenever there is a change in the patient’s condition.
- Conducts home visits in the program and In-Home services if requested.
- Maintains clinical records for each patient receiving care including monthly nursing notes, and progress notes related to significant changes and health care teaching.
- Assists the patient and family with the use of community resources.
- Prepares reports and correspondence as directed.
- May act as a liaison with institutions to promote continuity of care.
- Is responsible for complying with the Nurse Practice Act of the State of Massachusetts, and complying with Agency Policy and Procedures.
- Participates in in-service training programs.
- Nursing care is given in accordance with the patient’s physician orders.
- Coordinates nursing services with all other professionals involved with patient care.
- Assists as necessary in the delivery of other program services.
- Supervises other health care staff and program assistants in direct care techniques
- Licensure- A licensed Registered Nurse currently registered in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Experience – Experience involving acute admissions on either a medical, surgical or emergency service preferred.
- Prior substance abuse experience preferred.
- Minimum of two years experience in direct care of adults or chronically disabled persons.
- Able to read printed word.
- Able to communicate effectively in English – both verbally and in writing
- Able to provide own transportation to patient’s homes.
- Physically capable of performing the job.
- Must have physical within past 12 months, including TB screening. Certified in CPR and First Aid.
- Keywords: Nurse, Nursing, Healthcare, Human Services, Substance Abuse, Detox, ATS, Clinical, Medical, Nonprofit, Human Services, Recovery
- Excellent benefits package including health and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, tuition reimbursement/remission, paid vacation & holidays, sick time pay, and employee referral bonuses.