546 E 17th St #201
APPLY AT www.stand.org/careers
Stand for Children Indiana seeks a dynamic and hard-working Parent Organizer to empower and mobilize our grassroots stakeholders to take local, district and state action in support of students.
· Build a strong membership base of volunteer teams
o Build, manage, and maintain a membership base of volunteer leaders and members, organized into highly engaged, active, and independent teams;
o Develop a consistent pipeline of contacts for potential leader and member recruitment;
o Engage communities through door-to-door canvassing and phone banking;
o Schedule quality external meetings every week with parents and others that meaningfully contribute to teambuilding and the development of parent leaders and parent members;
o Use face-to-face meetings to assess for leadership potential and recruit volunteer leaders who will build their own teams;
o Deliver presentations and facilitate workshops and larger family engagement programs to develop a pipeline of potential leaders and engaged members;
· Engage and develop leaders and members
o Develop volunteer leaders on leadership skills, advocacy skills, and issue understanding, through rigorous 1-on-1, small group, and large classroom style training, using curriculum developed by Stand for Children especially for parents;
o Support the leadership and advocacy skills of parent leaders by providing ongoing coaching and development, enabling leaders to assume more responsibility over time;
o Work with parent leaders to set goals around team growth, action, and engagement, coaching them to successfully meet those goals;
o Ensure leaders and members are educated and empowered to take action on local and statewide campaigns and can speak confidently about them to community members and decision makers;
o Project manage and successfully facilitate family engagement programs ranging from single-session workshops to multi-lesson programs, using curriculum developed by Stand for Children;
· Activate leaders and members to grow teams and win campaigns
o Support and maintain organized membership base in order for parent leaders to strategically engage in campaigns aimed at improving educational outcomes for their students;
o Coach leaders to ensure a majority of all team members are taking regular action and that members are presented opportunities to remain engaged for multiple campaigns.
· Passionate and unwavering belief in Stand for Children’s mission and strategy to ensure that all children, regardless of their background, graduate from high school prepared for and with access to a college education;
· At least 3 years of professional experience preferred; political or community organizing experience a plus, experience (volunteer or paid) recruiting, training, and mobilizing a team of 10 or more volunteers/members preferred;
· Strong community ties to Indianapolis and the constituencies served by Indianapolis Public Schools required;
· Experience delivering presentations as well as successfully facilitating pre-designed curriculum to small and mid-size groups of adults;
· Experience working with diverse and bilingual populations strongly encouraged;
· Proven ability to achieve measurable, meaningful results in a fast-paced environment;
· Passion for developing parents and other adults to realize their potential, as a critical step to improving education for children;
· Strong interpersonal, communication, and team-building skills; ability to initiate, foster, and leverage contacts and networks to achieve strong, positive outcomes;
· Ability to be flexible and steadfast in the face of ambiguity; self-motivated problem-solver and critical thinker;
· A learning orientation and an ability to embrace and incorporate direct feedback crucial;
· Willingness to work flexible hours including evenings and occasional weekends; full-time access to a car;
· Ability to be in multiple locations in the course of a given day, the ability to transport items, and the ability to set up and take down meeting equipment (chairs, tables, projectors, screens, etc.); May require the ability to climb stairs;
To apply for this position, please visit http://stand.org/ careers to upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter. No calls please.
Stand for Children is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to a diverse and culturally inclusive workplace in which our differences broaden our awareness, enrich our daily experiences and contribute to our collective strength. People of color, members of underrepresented ethnic or socioeconomic populations and bilingual/multi-lingual speakers are strongly encouraged to apply. Roles typically require the ability to be stationary for extended periods of time and to travel to meetings outside of the office; ability to lift more than 10 pounds on occasion; may require the ability to climb stairs.
Stand for Children consists of two separate entities. Stand for Children, Inc., a grassroots membership organization is exempt under section 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code, and Stand for Children Leadership Center, a leadership development organization is exempt under section 501(c)(3)
Stand for Children strives to be an employer of choice. We offer a competitive salary structure, excellent health and dental benefits, a 401k plan with a match, and generous paid time off. We build robust teams with dynamic and collaborative cultures, engaging employees in challenging work that provides opportunity for ongoing growth and skills development.
For more information, visit us at http://stand.org/national/about/careers
Minimum Education Required