The Board of Directors of Mohawk Harvest Cooperative Market (MHCM) seeks a General Manager to lead a team to operate a full-service Producer Consumer Cooperative serving Fulton County NY. We are looking for someone with the skills and experience to effectively manage a store which has become the center of a strong community of people with common goals to improve the local economy, the natural environment and the health of the public at large.
The MHCM is the only food co-op in the area and was incorporated as a 102(a)5 Not for Profit in 2009. Our community includes an active Board of Directors and over 700 invested owners from 40 towns which is testimony to the desire for locally sourced products. We rent a 4,000-SF renovated space in a downtown building and in season employ a staff of 7 employees.
We are looking for someone with a minimum of five years of grocery management experience who has proven business skills and a strong commitment to creating relationships with local farmers, procuring local products, and creating and supporting a thriving staff and co-op community. Co-op experience is strongly preferred but not required. We do seek someone committed to the values and processes of a co-op.
As consumer, producer and farmer members of a cooperative, we are committed to the creation of a healthy, sustainable community by providing wholesome foods, empowering artisans and fostering lifelong learning. We want to support the regional food system; strengthen the local economy; promote the well-being of our Members, our community, and the environment; and be a center of community activity. Promoting health in our community by working with farmers to provide locally grown and raised food that shoppers want, delivered in a sustainable and socially responsible manner will be central to the GM’s role. We support local artist by leasing space in our store to Micropolis Gallery, an artist cooperative.
The General Manager reports to the co-op Board, which is elected by the co-op’s members. The Board defines the expectations of the General Manager who has the authority to hire, direct, structure, and evaluate hired and volunteer staff. We are ready to actively support our GM in the areas that may need development.
Gloversville, NY is a city of 15,000 people located 50 miles Northwest of Albany, which is the state capitol. It is positioned at the northern edge of the Mohawk Valley which is a fertile agricultural region and just south of the Adirondack Mountains. It is the largest municipality in Fulton County which has a total year-round population of 52,000. Though Fulton County is one of the poorest counties in the state in terms of per capita income, its population swells in the summer months by virtue of its many lakes and recreational options. One of the main goals of the GM will be to increase sales by making the store more shoppable for the average resident while retaining its special attractiveness for seasonal visitors.
· At least five years of successful grocery store experience in a management role
· A strategic view of the organization with operational expertise and command of the wide range of skills required to build a successful co-op business
· Extensive experience in financial management and business planning, and the ability to draw on these skills in new situations
· A strong track record of empowering talent and potential in a wide range of people, from the current Co-op volunteers, to the additional members ready to jump in, to the new staff
· Ability to build teams and hold staff as well as volunteers accountable in a way that builds trust and commitment
· Strong communication skills that will be used to work with staff, volunteers, customers, and the Board
· Strong commitment to the vision, values and structure of the Co-op
· Confidence, passion, and a leadership style that fosters participation and collaboration
· Ability to communicate openly with the Board and provide a shared vision with clear metrics for success
· A desire to address complex issues collaboratively with Board, leaders, and staff
Financial and Planning
· Develop and recommend to the Board long- and short-range plans to achieve co-op goals
· Prepare operating and capital budgets for approval by the Board and be held accountable for control of resources
· Direct all financial operations of the Co-op
· Submit outcomes of the Board of Directors’ overall policies, objectives, and metrics for the Board’s approval
· Provide the Board with financial and operational reports as required or requested
· Advise and inform the Board on current operations, including potential threats and opportunities
· Oversee and coordinate implementation of Board policies
· Provide necessary information to the Board within a required timeframe
· Demonstrate ability to effectively present well-documented material and ideas to the Board
· Be open to questions, suggestions, and constructive comments from the Board
· Ensure a cost-effective, growing business
· Manage all staff, including hiring, training, and termination if need be
· Maintain and share knowledge of natural foods retailing and industry trends
· Maintain appropriate relations with local farmers, vendors and distributors, with a strong preference towards local markets
· Ensure the establishment and maintenance of a product mix that meets shopper needs
· Plan and execute a margin strategy designed to be price competitive and maintain adequate profit for growth
· Ensure compliance with all applicable laws regarding licenses, permits, health regulations, employment, etc.
· Hire, supervise, develop, and evaluate Co-op staff, including taking disciplinary action as needed
· Develop a staff organizational structure that promotes fair distribution of work while maintaining maximum service to customers
· Prepare a yearly payroll budget that meets operating budget constraints
· Ensure a safe, healthy workplace for employees
· Oversee compliance with the Co-op’s personnel policies and update as needed
Member and Community Relations
· Maintain a Membership Program that:
· Establish and maintain ongoing cooperative and consumer goods-related education programs
· Establish and maintain positive cooperative profiles in the local community and cooperative community
· Cultivate and maintain relationships with local food organizations and partners including local farms, natural foods producers, and related community-based organization.
· Gathering local expertise and working with our marketing and social media staff, develop and maintain an advertising and marketing strategy to increase public awareness of the Co-op’s existence and our products
· Execute the advertising and marketing plan within budgetary guidelines
· Communicate information about the business to the members through a newsletter, social media, and an annual report
Interested candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and a current resume. This position will be open until filled with a desired start date of Spring 2021. For more information about Mohawk Harvest Cooperative Market and the General Manager position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The job duties, responsibilities, skills, and the requirements and conditions listed in this job posting are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. A complete job description will be made available on request. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Mohawk Harvest Cooperative Market is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate in employment.
Salary is negotiable in accordance with experience and skill level. Board is open to incentivizing compensation based on financial success of store operations and customer satisfaction.
The Board of Directors of Mohawk Harvest Cooperative Market (MHCM) seeks a General Manager to lead a team to operate a full-service Producer Consumer Cooperative serving Fulton County NY. We are looking for someone with the skills and…