Full Time Temporary
Manager of Elections Operations
Full time • Starts April 1, 2018, Ends November 30, 2018
Competitive Pay • Excellent Benefits
Work from Anywhere in the US
Our country is in a crisis and stakes in 2018 couldn’t be higher. Since Donald Trump took office, MoveOn members have been a pillar of the resistance to the radical policies coming out of Congress and the White House. In this election, MoveOn will mobilize a grassroots wave to take back our government and create a nation where all can thrive--one marked by justice, sustainability, economic security, peace, and mutual care.
MoveOn.org’s “Resist & Win” 2018 election program centers on recruiting, training and supporting hundreds of volunteer leaders in more than 100 congressional districts to mobilize thousands of volunteers to join them in strategic movement-building and voter engagement actions--paired with the power of our cutting edge Video Lab, Analytics, Technology, Field, Digital, and Communications campaigning capacities.
We are determined to make the 2018 elections a turning point, helping Democrats win the House to create a roadblock to Trump & Republicans’ ability to advance their toxic agenda, while building the movement for racial, economic, immigrant, and climate justice, and electing new progressive champions who can help lead our country to a better future in races down ballot across the country.
With millions of members nationwide and a 20-year track record of winning electoral and progressive issue campaigns and breaking new digital and field organizing ground MoveOn is uniquely suited to power the progressive wave it will take to win back control of the U.S. House in 2018 and strengthen our collective movement.
Manager of Elections Operations
MoveOn is seeking a dynamic and talented Manager of Elections Operations to manage compliance, reporting and day-to-day support for our national elections program, which will include activity in up to 200 different races at the local, state and federal level. This is a hands-on role that will include a significant amount of reporting work related to MoveOn’s direct, in-kind, and independent expenditure programs. It will also play a support role in other areas of the organization’s work including contracting; budget management; and working with MoveOn attorneys on review of materials.
The Manager of Elections Operations reports to the Director of Finance and Operations, and works closely with MoveOn’s downballot and national elections teams, as well as with an outside compliance vendor and MoveOn’s primary law firm. The right person for this role will be a creative leader and management professional with an entrepreneurial streak and a commitment to progressive values. Previous experience with campaign management, elections reporting and financial leadership preferred.
Compliance and Reporting
- Daily tracking of MoveOn spending on local, state and federal election races
- Collaborate with MoveOn’s attorneys and compliance vendors to ensure that all required election reporting is completed in a thorough and timely fashion
- Monitor and maintain daily calendar of election reporting deadlines, and ensure that all relevant MoveOn staff and vendors produce the information needed to meet those deadlines
- Evaluate all proposed spending for MoveOn election activities and work with our attorneys to ensure timely legal review in advance
- Provide daily support for budget management for MoveOn’s downballot and federal elections programs, and monitor that all elections spending tracks approved budgets
- Support the management of the contracts process for MoveOn vendor and independent contractor hiring, working as needed with our outside legal counsel
- Where appropriate, draft simple contract agreements with vendors using pre-approved templated contracts
- Ensure that all vendor agreements are approved and executed by the appropriate staff and signatories
- Work closely with the Director of Finance and Operations and COO on additional projects as needed, including: vendor negotiation, policy development, system improvements, and financial reporting
- Provide operations support for other MoveOn campaign activities as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- 5+ years of progressively responsible finance and operations experience or equivalent preferred, ideally in a 501c4/PAC affiliated organizational model or other complex operating environment
- Proven track record in compliance, reporting, financial management, budgeting and controls
- Demonstrated experience with daily campaigns work, risk management, administrative supervision, and decision-making in a complex organizational environment
- Helpful but not required: experience with FEC and state campaign finance reporting; experience with Intacct accounting software
Skills, Characteristics, and Values:
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to generate respect and trust from colleagues and external constituents
- Top-notch project management skills and attention to detail
- Ability to tackle urgent and complex problems with a collaborative, creative, and strategic approach
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a high degree of collaboration, flexibility, and good cheer
- Strong skills in Excel and Google sheets
- Able to quickly master software systems for finance and administration
- Self-directed, motivated, and able to execute independently at a high level
- Deep experience working with diverse constituencies, and a commitment to serving the diversity of MoveOn’s staff, membership and supporters
- Thrives in an organization whose staff work remotely, and communicates well on video conference calls, Slack, and email
- We seek candidates whose strong integrity, humility, and discretion will match our culture
Location: Position can be based anywhere in the continental US. May require occasional travel.
Salary and benefits: Competitive salary including benefits such as 100% employer-paid health and dental insurance for all staff and their children; 4 weeks of vacation time accrued per year; subsidy for personal office space; 12 weeks paid parental leave; paid sick time; 401(k) with employer contribution. $50 per month wellness benefit and $1,000 annual professional development budget.
To Apply: Click here to submit your application, resume, and a cover letter. In the cover letter, which should be concise, please share specific examples of how you have supervised and managed complex organizational systems in previous positions.
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Minimum Education Required