The Community College Research Center (CCRC) at Teachers College, Columbia University, is accepting applications for the position of Research Data Librarian, who will assist CCRC research teams by managing data on the Center’s Linux-based servers. CCRC is the leading independent authority on two-year colleges in the United States. We conduct research on issues affecting community colleges and work with colleges and states to improve student success and institutional performance. This is a full-time position based in New York City.
CCRC currently has over 20 ongoing projects using administrative and survey data stored on Linux-based servers. The ideal candidate will work with project leaders to collect, clean, catalog, and document data used in Center research, and to develop policies and procedures for governing these activities. The candidate will be responsible for helping to develop and manage data sharing agreements with partner colleges and state agencies. The candidate will also serve as a system administrator for CCRC’s servers, conducting routine maintenance and working with IT consultants and server providers to carry out more in-depth maintenance and system upgrades.
• Collaborate with Center researchers to collect, clean, catalog, and document research data, developing and overseeing policies and procedures for ensuring high standards and consistency in these activities across projects.
• Ensure security of Center data in compliance with FERPA and other applicable laws and industry standards.
• Work with Center researchers and college and state agency partners to develop, maintain, and update data sharing agreements.
• Manage user accounts, data backups, and routine system maintenance on CCRC’s servers (the Center currently uses Linux-based servers and is considering moving to cloud servers); work with IT consultants and server providers to do system upgrades or other more involved maintenance.
• Provide training to Center staff on using servers to access data.
- Experience managing social science databases for research organizations.
- Expertise with Linux-based data servers.
- Working knowledge of Stata, R, and/or SQL for data cleaning and analysis.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills.
- Strong ability to communicate highly technical information to non-experts.
- Excellent knowledge of computer hardware/software systems, network administration, data governance, and data security.
- Track record of taking initiative, learning new skills, and working to support research teams.
- Ability to multi-task and work on tight deadlines.
- Interest in supporting teams conducting research designed to improve student outcomes and institutional performance in community colleges and other broad-access public institutions.
- Associate degree required
- Bachelor’s or graduate degree in social science field.
Minimum Education Required