1750 Columbia Road Northwest
District of Columbia
Higher Achievement, a nationally acclaimed nonprofit organization working to close the achievement gap for motivated, yet underserved students from low-income communities, seeks a Senior Accountant.
Higher Achievement has an annual operating budget of $10 million, with five different locations. Working under the CFO at the National office in Washington, DC, the Senior Accountant will lead a variety of general accounting and grants management responsibilities within our growing finance department.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Commitment to the mission and work of Higher Achievement
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance or related field
- 5+ years of general accounting experience
- 2+ years of grants management accounting experience within a non-profit organization required
- Strong background in invoice processing, account reconciliation, and performing journal entries and collections
- Familiar with OMB Uniform guidance circular that provides guidance in administering contracts, grants, and awards
- Proficiency in Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains and intermediate to advanced Excel skills required; Raiser’s Edge experience a plus
- Strong computer and software skills with the ability to learn and use new technology required
- Financial analysis and modeling experience a plus
- Detail-oriented with ability to meet competing deadlines in a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team-centered environment
- Ability to analyze grants, grant budgets, define problems, collect data and draw factual conclusions
- Ability to engage in efficient communication internally and externally.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including by phone, email, and in person
- Ability to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing, to individuals with and without finance expertise
- Ability to take initiative in finding solutions to problems
- Ability to exercise judgment and discretion in handling sensitive and confidential issues
Higher Achievement Core Competencies: Higher Achievement values our core competencies, and as such, we expect that competitive applications will be able to demonstrate strengths in these areas:
- Proactively builds relationships.
- Uses candid communication to express ideas and to listen to the thoughts and feedback of others.
- Persistently pursues excellence by holding oneself to high expectations and seeking the best.
- Possesses a growth mindset for learning new things and stepping out of one’s comfort zone.
- Solutions-oriented when challenges arise.
Compensation and Benefits: This is a regular, exempt, full-time position. The salary for this position is in the high seventies and is commensurate with skills, education/certifications, and experience. Higher Achievement offers competitive benefits, including: company-paid insurance (medical, dental, vision, life, and long and short-term disability insurance); eleven paid holidays; five weeks of paid time off; professional development funds; and tuition reimbursement.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment: Work is regularly performed in an office environment. Employee may spend long periods of time sitting at a desk. Employee regularly lifts, carries, and positions objects weighting up to 20 pounds. Position involves regular use of a computer and keyboard, telephone, and face-to-face communication; employee must be able to communicate clearly and professionally in all of these situations.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Additional Information: This position requires a criminal background check, including credit check, prior to hire.
To Apply: Please submit your application, including resume and cover letter, through the link below. Priority consideration will be given to applicants who address the listed qualifications and their interest in the mission and work of Higher Achievement in their cover letter. Applications will be accepted until position is filled; interested applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. Please, no phone calls, emails or recruiters.
Higher Achievement provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, age, medical condition, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, caregiver or family status, political affiliation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please visit the careers page of our website to apply.