136-19 41st Avenue
Civic Participation Associate
The MinKwon Center for Community Action is pleased to invite applications for the Civic Participation Associate position. The civic engagement associate is a full-time, paid position.
Organization History & Mission
The MinKwon Center for Community Action was established in 1984 to meet the needs and concerns of the Korean American community. Since our founding, we have made a profound presence through various grassroots organizing, education, and advocacy initiatives that address important community issues, including immigration policies at the national, state and city levels, voter rights, and cultural awareness. The MinKwon Center places a special emphasis on meeting the needs of our marginalized community members, including youth, elderly, recent immigrants, low-income residents, and limited-English-proficient residents.
The Civic Participation Associate will work to develop an informed, active base of community members who are civically engaged in the elections and keep the government accountable to the community. The Associate would have the following responsibilities:
- Execute and improve voter registration and voter education initiatives, which include giving informational talks to newly naturalized citizens and voter registration applicants, maintaining the databases of these voters, following up on voters who need assistance, and coordinating a voters’ network.
- Engage in voter-focused outreach and education. This includes developing materials, canvassing door-to-door and encouraging community participation in elections and in issue advocacy.
- Assist in voter education events such as candidate forums and how-to-vote seminars, to keep voters informed about important issues impacting the community.
- Support and organize GOTV campaigns (including phone banking and door-to-door canvassing) targeting Korean American and immigrant voters
- Utilize ethnic media to keep voters informed about important civic issues impacting the community and important dates
- Perform desk research on voter and demographic issues impacting the Asian American community, as well as analyses of demographic data. This includes learning several online tools for voter research, including Factfinder, Catalist and the Voter Activation Network.
- Work in coalition with other Asian American/immigrant groups to empower voters
Administrative / Support Services , Advocacy / Campaigning / Lobbying, Sustainability / Social Responsibility
Interest and/or experience in working on social justice and immigrants’ rights issues required.
Works well in team environment and under time pressure.
Strong administrative, research and note taking skills.
Proficiency in Korean or Mandarin is preferred, but not necessary.
Experience using social media for advocacy is desirable.
Experience working in diverse communities preferred.
The MinKwon Center will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled, and will only contact applicants who have been selected for an interview.
Please send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Please write ‘Application to Position: Civic Participation Associate – [FIRST NAME LAST NAME]’ in the subject line of the email
Health, Dental and Vision
Level of Language Proficiency
- Proficiency in Korean or Mandarin is preferred, but not necessary.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications will be accepted on a ROLLING basis until the position is filled. Please prepare a detailed cover letter and resume describing your interest in the organization and the position and email to:
Quinn Rhi, Civic Participation Senior Associate
email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: Make subject line of email, “Application to Position: Civic Participation Coordinator - [YOUR NAME]”