Details: Compensation and benefits are competitive.
101 Marietta Street NorthWest
The Southern Education Foundation (SEF), located in Atlanta, GA seeks outstanding candidates to fill a Government Relations Director position. This position is dedicated to the advancement of a comprehensive, proactive government affairs strategy that furthers the mission and goals of SEF to advance creative solutions to ensure equity and excellence in education for low-income students and students of color in the south. Candidates interested in this position should have working knowledge and genuine interest in both K-12 and minority serving institutions and the students most likely to attend them.
For more than 150 years SEF has made outsized contributions to improving education at all levels, from pre-kindergarten through higher education. SEF works to improve equity, excellence, and opportunity in education nationally. Research, policy analysis, advocacy, and programs are the primary means through which SEF pursues its mission.
A bachelor’s degree is required; a master’s is preferred in political science, public policy, public relations, communications or a related field. Candidates should have experience in analyzing and interpreting legislation and policy documents as well as knowledge of local, state and federal legislative and executive processes. Exceptional written, oral, and electronic communication skills able to reach diverse external audiences are essential.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. In collaboration with the President/CEO and the senior leadership team, develops and manages Southern Education Foundation’s strategy for strengthening relationships with elected officials and government agencies and increasing their understanding of and support for the work and mission of the Southern Education Foundation.
2. Works with the President/CEO and the senior leadership team to identify priority legislative and government relations issues throughout the southern region of importance to the work of the Southern Education Foundation.
3. Communicates and advocates Southern Education Foundation priorities to local, regional, state and national elected officials and staff.
4. Monitors legislation and policy activities, updates and advises Southern Education leadership and staff about relevant policy proposals and actions, and works with SEF staff to analyze potential impacts on the mission and work of SEF. Communicates with SEF staff and SEF partner organizations to inform them of relevant government issues.
5. Coordinates government relations strategy with other relevant stakeholders, including local, state, regional and national education associations. Develops a wide range of materials in support of SEF government relations agenda, such as talking points, legislative summaries, factsheets, testimony, reports, and letters.
6. Plans and implements events and other activities to support SEF government relations goals, such as legislative hearings, town halls, news conferences, and meetings.
7. Provides technical assistance to SEF staff on government relations issues.
8. Plans budget for government relations activities within the SEF budget.
9. Assists with the commentary and response to proposed local, state, regional and national education policy initiatives and legislation.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit: 1) a letter of interest; 2) a current vitae; 3) writing sample; and 4) names and contact information of three references. Materials and inquiries should be addressed to: Chandra Halstead, Office Manager; Southern Education Foundation, 101 Marietta St. NW; Ste. 1650, Atlanta, GA 30303. Materials may be sent electronically to (email@example.com). Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.