Details: Sliding Scale Based On Americorps Pay Grade
325 Lafayette Street
Green Village Initiative (GVI) is a non-profit organization in Bridgeport, CT whose mission is to grow food, knowledge, leadership and community through urban gardening and farming, to create a more just food system in Bridgeport. Our team and our network of growers are cultivating food justice leaders and beautifying the city. Together, we are building a model that addresses hunger, promotes good nutrition and catalyzes local economies.
Urban Farm VISTA Responsibilities
GVI’s AmeriCorps Urban Farm VISTA Service position is a 1-Year position that involves indoor and outdoor work. It requires an interest in becoming part of a passionate team dedicated to the GVI mission and to Bridgeport. The goal of the GVI Urban Farm VISTA Service Member is to create efficiencies in farming processes and protocol to ensure sustainability in relationship and food production while maintaining a strategic focus on community engagement and education to ensure long-term sustainability. The GVI Urban Farm VISTA will work towards three main objectives:
Improve GVI’s Urban Farm and Volunteer Management standard operating procedures for long-term sustainability.
- Aid in data collection and analysis throughout farm season to ensure targets are met for community outreach and engagement at farm activities and at community farm stand.
- Analyze and improve on GVI’s current Volunteer Management System. Lead the evolution of our current system into easy-to-use Standard Operating Procedures.
- Improve processes for food safety, customer service, and team training for farm and farm stand as needed.
- Seek donations for farm and garden needs, through reaching out to companies and list serves in the area.
- Deploy Volunteer Management system for farm and garden programs for 2019 Season, with detailed processes and record keeping for transition to Communications Intern.
Improve upon farm’s outreach, promotional and educational offerings.
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures for GVI’s Workshop series, including: gleaning and incorporating topics of interest among community gardeners; identifying and securing workshop presenters; scheduling workshops in advance of launch of farm season; informing GVI’s network of gardeners of workshops.
- Incorporate community involvement into workshops centered on cooking, farming, justice & community building via strategic outreach and training for community members, youth, and specialists so that all offerings message/center food justice.
Improve GVI’s partnerships and long-term communications to reflect food justice values.
- Represent GVI at community meetings and at meetings among partner organizations. This includes: Neighborhood meetings, Hunger Outreach Network meetings, and others. Be prepared with all relevant GVI outreach materials, including flyers.
- Aid in developing materials and training GVI team members and volunteers in representing GVI and food justice platform in community meetings, city events, neighborhood groups, and press by creating and deploying a strategic communications plan and training for GVI team, youth, and volunteers.
- Aid in team efforts to engage community at major annual events: Harvest Fest, GVI’s Fall Fundraiser, GVI’s Tree Lighting and regular volunteer activities
Necessary Skills and Experience
The ideal candidate will possess:
· A passion for community gardening, urban agriculture, or food justice
· Effective communication skills
· Proficiency in Google Suite and Microsoft Office
· Excitement to work in a fast-paced organization and a desire to learn more about gardening, farming and non-profit operations
· Ability to work with little oversight and to seek direction when needed
· Ability to perform physical at garden work (e.g. bending, kneeling) including in extreme heat
· A strong work ethic and punctuality
· Access to reliable transportation to and from garden sites
· A commitment to GVI’s mission, and a sense of responsibility to the Bridgeport community
Go to the Americorps’ website here and fill out the application: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=74179&fromSearch=true
Check out GVI’s website for more information https://www.gogvi.org
Level of Language Proficiency
English, Spanish is a bonus
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply through the above included link