Bilingual Prevention Specialist, Homelessness Prevention Program
- Job posted by Capitol Hill Group Ministry
415 2nd Street Northeast
District of Columbia
The Bilingual Homelessness Prevention Specialist will provide support services to participants of the Homelessness Prevention Program (HPP) of Capitol Hill Group Ministry (CHGM). (S)He will offer mediation, flexible financial support, and targeted referrals to families in imminent danger of becoming homeless. Through these services, CHGM helps families stabilize their housing, avoid entering the shelter system, and develop a plan to work toward long-term self-sufficiency. This position must be staffed with a dedicated and service-oriented individual, who is committed to working in a professional environment with at-risk communities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide case management services for clients whose preferred language is Spanish.
- Conduct new client intake interviews and assessments.
- Work with clients to identify the resources and support necessary for them to remain stably housed or establish a more stable living arrangement.
- Mediate conflicts with family members and landlords in order to resolve issues resulting in the threat of eviction.
- Assist clients in negotiating housing arrangements with family members and friends willing and able to house them, including establishing house rules, length of stay, financial contributions to the household, etc.
- Provide targeted referrals to address client needs in the areas of education and employment, physical and mental health, child care, housing, etc.
- Assist in processing lease agreements with landlords, families, and contractors when needed.
- Actively network with the community service providers and other partner agencies to locate programs and resources to assist families.
- Input client data and meticulous notes into Homeless Management Information System (HMIS), and other required systems, in a timely manner.
- Provide proactive follow-up with clients, as needed.
- Participate in program meetings, trainings, and CHGM meetings and events.
- Other relevant duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in social work and/or 3-5yrs experience working within the homeless continuum.
- Previous experience in social services and/or crisis management preferred.
- Fluent reading, writing and speaking skills in both the English and Spanish languages.
- Demeanor and communication skills that make Homelessness Prevention Program guests feel safe and welcome.
- Advanced computer skills in Excel, Word, Google and Databases.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work respectfully and compassionately with a wide variety of individuals, including those from diverse racial, ethnic and religious backgrounds; those individuals in the LGBTQ community and those who have or appear to have mental illnesses, disabilities and/or substance abuse problems.
- Ability to remain calm and professional in stressful situations, including when treated inappropriately by challenging guests.
- Ability to enforce rules and maintain appropriate boundaries with guests, while also being flexible in support of clients’ varying needs.
- Ability to multitask and function well in a fast paced environment.
- Attention to detail.
- Meticulous in data capture.
- Ability to follow instructions and complete tasks in a timely, organized way.
- Ability to maintain strong relationships with coworkers and supervisors and good judgment about when to ask for help from coworkers and supervisors.
- Passing annual drug testing and criminal background check required
Compensation & Benefits:
- Competitive salary, depending on experience.
- Employer paid health insurance. Dental, vision, and life insurance available.
- Generous holiday, vacation, and personal leave.
- 403(b) retirement plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to email@example.com, addressed to HPP Program Manager, Erica Turner. Please put "Bilingual Prevention Specialist" as the subject line of your email. NO PHONE CALLS, FAXES OR WALK-IN APPLICATIONS PLEASE.
Position is available until filled. Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis.