Manage the implementation and coordination of the designated field projects. Providing leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the Medair projects, the Project Coordinator also plays a key role in liaison with local authorities and other relevant stakeholders, team leadership and security.
Medair implements multi-sector programmes in Kirkuk, Salah al Din, Ninewa and Dohuk governorates through the provision of health activities including MHPSS, WASH, shelter/NFI and cash support for vulnerable communities in camp and out of camp settings. In Dohuk, Medair supports two PHCs - one in Rwanga IDP camp and one in Bersive II IDP camp. The project includes the day-to-day management of two PHC Centres, community health and MHPSS activities.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Dohuk, Irak. Take a look at Medair’s work in Iraq.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 12 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Oversee the overall implementation of the designated project in consultation with the relevant Project Manager and in accordance with the project proposals ensuring objectives are met within the required time frame and budget. Where necessary ensure preventative and corrective action is taken.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments against project objectives are conducted and reports made to the relevant in-country or GSO managers or to donors.
- Maintain an overview of the regional context with a view to the strategic development of new projects both in current sites and in surrounding regions. This may include baseline needs assessments.
- Develop an implementation strategy which is appropriate to the country context and strategy.
- Ensure complete and timely reporting of activities to Medair, donors and line managers.
- Ensure all relevant documents related to the designated project are produced and filed.
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders and represent Medair at relevant meetings in order to facilitate and ensure cooperation and partnerships.
- Seek out and actively participate in local networks or task groups on specific humanitarian aid issues.
- Accompany donors on field trips and ensure programme details are transmitted.
- Plan and construct the budgets for the designated projects, in collaboration with the relevant Project Manager(s) and Sector Advisers and in accordance with donor guidelines.
- Working with the Project Manager(s), ensure that budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations and within the appropriate timeframe.
- Monitor the spending of the designated project(s) to ensure they operate in line with Medair and donor guidelines for financial accounting and reporting practices.
- Ensure all personnel related issues for the staff of the designated project(s) are carried out.
- Ensure that staff receive appropriate and adequate training by providing mentoring and coaching and through the promotion of capacity building of local staff.
- Hold regular team meetings and, through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective team.
- Promote the health and security of the staff of the designated project(s) by ensuring the application of security guidelines, health and safety in the workplace and healthy living conditions and practices.
- Monitor and review the security status of the area(s) of operation on a regular basis, liaising as applicable with local authorities, other NGOs, the UN or other relevant security bodies.
- Ensure all staff members and visitors receive appropriate briefings and on-going training on security.
- Oversee and monitor staff adherence to security protocols, including security incident reports.
- Ensure security plans and protocols for the area(s) of operation are updated and implemented.
- Train and support relevant staff in security planning, management, implementation and monitoring.
- Ensure designated project(s) are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere standards, WHO recommendations, etc. Follow the direction of the relevant in-country advisors (health and MHPSS) as well as GSO Senior Advisors regarding quality, strategy and technical guidelines.
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of the programmes and interventions during field visits and at other relevant times.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management/ Development Studies/ Business Administration.
- Security management training.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 3 years post-qualification experience in a management position, preferably in a relief environment.
- Overseas work experience, preferably with a relief and rehabilitation NGO.
- Computer literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere Standards and international humanitarian guidelines.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills as well as leadership and project management skills.