Details: Non-Exempt Position
7101 Winnetka Avenue North
POSITION: Direct Marketing Specialist
SUPERVISED BY: Direct Marketing Director
SUPERVISES: No one
The Direct Marketing Specialist is responsible for the management, execution and analysis of direct marketing programs using digital, print and telemarketing activities to acquire new donors and cultivate and retain existing donors. This position works with individual donors primarily, but supports campaigns for institutional donors. The Direct Response Specialist is responsible for developing, executing and analyzing marketing activities in an accurate and timely way, contributing to critical fundraising and stewardship goals.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Manage and execute specified direct marketing campaigns and functions within campaigns to cultivate current donors and acquire new donors. Channels include digital, print and telemarketing. Working with Communications, other areas of Development, and vendors, ensure that programs are developed and executed according to plan. Tasks will include providing necessary data, photos, and information; review of campaigns for accuracy of assigned items; and supervision of campaign set up, reporting, and analysis. Campaigns must be on-schedule and accurately produced as specified by Director.
· Manage the scheduling and creation of mailing lists and data sets for analysis. Work closely with the Development Operations Manager to define list requirements, do quality control, coordinate delivery of lists, and ensure data input for robust campaign reporting. Proactively identify possible data concerns and needs. Work with Development Operations team to implement solutions. Responsible for the accuracy and timeliness of assigned lists and data sets.
· Produce reports and analyses of program performance. This includes querying CRM systems, summarizing results and trends, examining donor cohorts, and evaluating test results. Recommend actions based on analyses of how programs are working, providing critical guidance on spending and resource allocation decisions.
· On an ongoing basis, develop knowledge of SHH CRM systems (primary and online) and data to enable the creation of insightful queries, reports, and analyses, as well as innovate in marketing methods.
· Manage various vendor relationships to ensure that collaborative fundraising campaigns are scheduled and executed appropriately, serving as day-to-day contact for a variety of vendor questions regarding data, creative direction, and operational decision-making
· Execute the implementation of campaign coding for all fundraising campaigns. Maintain master CRM coding hierarchies for all Development activity at Second Harvest Heartland, and act to ensure that CRM systems are adequately prepared to accommodate Development activities.
· Work closely with the Direct Marketing team and other SHH teams to create and continuously improve comprehensive Stewardship Plans and Direct Marketing strategies for new donors, monthly donors, major donors, volunteers and other constituents. Plans may include phone, mail, and email outreach, appreciation events, focus groups, and more.
· Manage skilled volunteers and Interns in stewardship and marketing activities. Ensure that these valuable supporters have thorough training, and ongoing direction and feedback, so that their time with SHH is productive and their experiences positive.
· Support Director in development of annual budget, ongoing reforecasts, and comparison of actual revenue and expense to plan as assigned.
· Cross-train and mentor Direct Marketing team members in department functions including use of CRM systems, creation of reports and analyses, and execution of supporting functions.
· Excel by constantly looking for and implementing improvements. This will include suggesting direct response test ideas, making process improvements for efficiency in completing work within or between departments, cost-saving changes, donor stewardship improvements, and more. Support the team by contributing to strategy development, and manage and execute new ventures where appropriate.
BEHAVIORAL EXPECTATIONS – All employee behaviors will be consistent with SHH values.
- Customer Service - demonstrate the ability to respond with urgency to the needs and requests of others, internally and externally. Understand the impact of their work on others.
- Understand safety policies and actively promote safe practices in the workplace.
- Maintain constructive relationships and demonstrate respect for everyone contacted.
- Deal constructively with conflict and focus on the situation, issue or behavior and not on the person by diffusing situations before conflicts arise, resolving conflicts directly and actively promoting and gaining cooperation from others.
- Willingness and ability to adjust to changing conditions or priorities.
- Take the initiative to identify and act on problems and lead by example. Consistently make decisions that resolve problems.
· Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or related experience
· 3+years of direct marketing experience
· Knowledge of best practices for direct response creative, segmentation and testing methodologies
· Demonstrated ability to compile and analyze data, including querying databases and creating spreadsheets and other documents to summarize complex information and draw conclusions.
· Demonstrated ability to think creatively
· Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and work with minimal supervision
· Strong writing and oral communication skills
· Advanced Microsoft Office Suite computer skills, especially Excel.
· 2+ years of experience with Customer Relationship Management software preferred
· Attention to detail and strong project management skills
· Ability to work as part of a team
· Ability to build consensus and buy-in across teams
· Professional attitude and appearance
· Ability to sit or stand at a desk and work on a computer for long periods of time
· Ability to travel when needed.
· Ability to occasionally lift up to 40 lbs.
· Ability to be on the phone frequently during the day.
Second Harvest Heartland offers a competitive benefits package to include:
· Paid Time Off (PTO) – to accrue up to 160 hours per calendar year.
· 3 medical plans to choose from
· Dental plan
· 403b retirement plan:
o 4% employer base contribution
o Up to 2% employer match with 4% employee participation
· Company paid benefits to include:
o Base life insurance
o Base AD&D
o Short Term Disability
o Long Term Disability
Minimum Education Required