Details: $75+ per class
Hiring for Educators in BROOKLYN, BRONX, MANHATTAN and QUEENS for the 2018-19 school year!
Allergic to Salad is a youth-based culinary program. We offer hands-on, from-scratch CORE- and STEM-based healthy cooking classes to after-school and in-school programs for students aged PreK thru High School.
We realize many claim they are "allergic to salad" a convenient and understandable excuse in this era of pre-packaged industrialized food. Our work combats this widespread "allergy," while increasing skills, technique, and familiarity with healthy foods, and creating a platform for a lifetime of adventurous eating through activity-filled classes.
Are you passionate about cooking, healthy eating and educating children? Join the Allergic to Salad team! Positions available on rolling basis!
Allergic to Salad is seeking reliable, self-motivated, independent, fun-loving and kid-loving part-time Children's Food Educators to join our team. The Children's Food Educators work closely with Allergic to Salad founder and lead educator with high potential for growth into independent self-led positions. This person(s) is responsible for leading and/or assisting kids cooking classes. Classes are in various locations around the city -- east Brooklyn, lower Manhattan, Western Queens, for example-- educators PICK THEIR OWN schedule/ location (based on availability). Candidate should be a good, clear communicator, flexible and positive team player, outspoken and comfortable working with children. Opinions regarding issues around food access, food justice and local foods a definite plus. A knowledge of, and willingness to teach a variety of cuisines, as well as an ability to "cook on the fly" if needed. 2+ years experience working w children in some capacity HIGHLY PREFERRED. Experience teaching / managing a classroom (pre-school aged or older) HIGHLY PREFERRED! Culinary degree NOT necessary.
Seeking educators for the 2018-2019 school year to teach. Most classes available in AFTER SCHOOL hours (2:30 to 6:00pm). Limited in-school offerings.
Note that payment is PER CLASS, not hour. Payment is $75 (or more) PER CLASS (educators are responsible for food purchases, averaging $10-15 per class). (Take home pay, post food purchase and figuring for class set up and clean up tends to break down to $20-25/ hour.)
Please make note of your location preference in the subject of your email!
- Assisting and/or leading kids cooking events (classes, parties, and special events) for kids aged 2.5 to 16, as well as some high school/ adult/ family classes. These classes are HANDS-ON for students -- not demo.
- Prep for classes: purchasing groceries and prepping/ cleaning, as necessary.
- Clean up: Must leave locations in condition found, or cleaner.
- Lead, supervise and aid children during cooking while building a discourse on relevant food topics.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with both parents and children.
- Follow up after classes with attendees and with Allergic to Salad.
- Potential for recipe development, testing, writing and other opportunities
- Maintain a positive, safe, supportive and welcoming environment.
Flexible/ part-time. Most classes take place AFTER-SCHOOL (3:00- 5:00 PM). Availability at least TWO weekdays during after-school is a must. Commitment can increase to weekends once after school classes are established. Looking for educators to take on classes starting September for the 2018-2019 school year. There may be some summer programming, tho very limited.
Knowledge & Experience:
- Classroom management skills necessary.
- Reliable, self-motivated, independent, motivational
- Fun-loving and kid-loving a must.
- Some teaching background preferred, but experience w kids necessary
- Basic kitchen/ cooking and food knowledge and can explain these concepts to children.
- Strong communication skills
- Knowledge of, or ability to quickly learn basic computer programs (example, Google Docs)
- Social media skills a plus
- Organized with an attention to detail.
- Flexible, with ability to improvise, if needed.
- Candidate may be in the process of completing a Bachelor's Degree, Culinary Degree, or having completed either/ both, tho culinary degree is not necessary.
- Child CPR/ First Aid Cert a plus, or willingness to acquire.
- Background check for DOE clearance a must
Submit Cover Letter and Resume when applying! Programs@allergictosalad.com
Payment is PER CLASS, not per hour. Rate starts at $75 for a one-hour class (prep/ clean up and cost of ingredients are the responsibility of the educator.) Breaks down to aprox $20-25 per hour.
Level of Language Proficiency
English proficiency. Also in need of educators w Spanish fluency to lead classes in language immersion classes.
Minimum Education Required