Details: Salary commensurate with experience.
The Chief Finance and Administration Officer (CFAO) is a key leadership role reporting to the CEO in the areas of Finance, Compliance, and Human Resources. The role requires deep experience in financial management, strong problem solving, and analytical skills. The CFAO is responsible for directing the fiscal and HR functions of Building Markets in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, donor compliance requirements, regulatory environments in our countries of operation, and in accordance with financial management techniques and practices appropriate within the non-profit industry. As a member of the senior management team, the CFAO will be involved in strategic planning and its execution to meet organizational goals and will interact with the Board of Directors. The CFAO will also ensure that Building Markets can continue to grow by building strong internal systems that help to create efficiencies in finance and HR at both Headquarters and in our Country Offices, while minimizing and managing risk exposure.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a finance executive with experience in financial management and leadership, ideally gained through both nonprofit and corporate settings. Successful candidates will have a proven track record, accounting certification, and experience with a non-profit organization that works internationally.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Develop models for CEO for forecasting, business planning, reporting, and pricing (fee-for-service).
- Review and report on monthly financial position to CEO.
- Review and approve monthly cash flow projections for Country Offices.
- Quarterly, assess organizational performance against both the annual budget and Building Markets Strategic Plan.
- Prepare donor reports.
- Make recommendations that ensure sound financial management and stability.
- Remain current on nonprofit audit and best practices in line with state, federal and local laws where the organization operates.
Planning, Policy, and Donor/Investor Relations
- Prepare annual budget plan for Building Markets.
- With CEO and project teams, prepare proposal budgets as required.
- Liaise with Donors as needed on financial reporting and budgeting.
- Engage the audit/finance committees and Treasurer of the Board of Directors to develop financial plans and projections, and present quarterly reports.
- Present quarterly cash flow projections to CEO.
- Keep financial guides, employee handbooks and relevant policies current.
- Serve as member of the management team and participate in organizational-wide problem-solving and decision-making.
- Train and induct staff on organizational policies to ensure standardization in implementation.This includes onboarding new staff and regular (re)training sessions for managers on updated policies, other changes, or general reviews.
- Manage HR/finance team members and supervise Country Office financial teams.
- Maintain strong working relationship with the organization’s banks and auditors.
- Ensure all paperwork required for financial and HR transactions are documented and archived.
- Review contribution agreements and set-up accounting processes to meet donor requirements for individual grants.
- Maintain the organization’s Finance Dropbox.
- Refine Building Markets’ financial systems as needed – creating efficiencies and adopting best practices.
- Design and regularly monitor financial systems and controls for field projects.
- Oversee and manage accounting and payroll systems.
- Manage program audits, statutory audits, and proper filing of all tax returns.
Qualifications and Education
- CPA license (or equivalent graduate degree in Business or Finance - MBA)
- Minimum 7 years’ experience with at least three years in a management role.
- Strong experience in nonprofit accounting and managing complex financial systems and reporting requirements.
- Experience working with large donors required (e.g. Government and Foundation), including reporting and monitoring.
- Experience with international programs required.
- A strong value for data-driven decision making and demonstrated success in generating and executing thoughtful practical solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to think and act strategically.
- Demonstrated experience directing and implementing new systems, processes and technology to enhance internal operations and organizational effectiveness.
- Experience managing HR functions – including all employee related policy.
- An ability to lead staff training both in-person and virtually.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to add to the overall performance of the team through consistent support and positive interaction.
- Travel to each of our field offices will be required for monitoring and support visits, at least one time annually, budget permitting.
- Full-time position
- Initial 12-month contract with review for renewal
- Health, dental, vision insurance
- 20 days paid vacation
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates are invited to send a CV, cover letter, and three professional references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than October 19, 2018. The subject line must read “Chief Finance and Administration Officer”.