How you’ll make an impact as an AmeriCorps Member serving at Playworks
You will improve the school climate at a local elementary school by ensuring that every kid gets to play every day. You will engage kids and educators every school day, making a positive impact on the playground, in the classroom and in the school community. We will train you and support you on this journey so that you can:
- Create opportunities for safe and inclusive play, on the playground and throughout the school, by being an effective facilitator and a caring, consistent adult to ensure that every kid has the opportunity to play every day.
- Implement a youth leadership program by providing student leadership opportunities at recess and implementing curriculum for a cohort of students before or after school.
- Lead individual classes to build youth leadership skills, promote cooperation, and introduce new games that kids can play on the playground, including the rules and boundaries.
- Enlist and coach students in interscholastic/developmental sports leagues that might include basketball, volleyball, or soccer.
- Work with the school to create opportunities to engage families and the wider school community.
- Recruit and coordinate volunteers who will assist with your programming to strengthen school climate.
- Develop a strong school culture by influencing, motivating, and building rapport with faculty, administrators, parents, and volunteers.
- Participate in national days of service and some weekend service projects in the greater community.
- 18 years of age or older
- US Citizenship or Permanent Resident status
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Commitment to fulfilling your entire term of service with the ability to serve your scheduled hours consistently
- An interest in volunteering, learning, and growing while giving back to the community
Nice to have:
- Experience working with or teaching groups of children with the ability to engage and inspire youth
- Be an organized self-starter exhibiting good judgment with the flexibility to adapt to shifting priorities and demands
- Previous commitment to national and community service as demonstrated through volunteerism or other service work
- Experience interacting with diverse communities and the ability to integrate into an existing school community
- Ongoing access to reliable transportation to and from your assigned school
Playworks is a hands-on, creative, playful and fun-loving place to be, all while contributing to the success of our nation’s youth. If you're ready to immerse yourself in the education sector, take on a rewarding set of challenges, and if you've got the skills, experience, passion, and team spirit, apply!