Communications Manager, External Affairs
San Francisco, CA
Who are we?
Tipping Point Community works to break the cycle of poverty for individuals and families in the Bay Area. Since 2005, Tipping Point has raised more than $200 million to support the 1.3 million people in the Bay Area who are too poor to meet their basic needs. We do things differently. We leverage the resources and expertise of our community to invest in solutions that prevent poverty: a nurturing early childhood, strong education, gainful employment, and stable housing. We are laser-focused on metrics and hold our partners and ourselves accountable for results. Our Board covers 100% of our costs, so every dollar donated goes where it’s needed most.
We are passionate about our mission, take our work seriously, and value relationships. We give you room to be creative, and also give you support to succeed. We celebrate diverse perspectives, and we work with integrity, dedication, humor, and humility.
What will you do?
We are seeking an exceptional communications professional passionate about leveraging the power of storytelling to affect social change. As the Communications Manager, you will sit on the External Affairs team and will be the primary strategic communications partner for one of Tipping Point’s core departments. As part strategist and part individual contributor, you will be the voice for your assigned department and responsible for planning and delivering all of their communication needs which range from converting team goals into communications plans to drafting content and storyboarding, and everything in between. You will report to the Director of Communications and work closely with your colleagues on the External Affairs team.
- Provide thought partnership to senior leadership.
- Create and implement annual plans that identify audience, establish communications strategies and tactics, set clear goals and identify ways to measure success.
- Develop creative approaches and content to communicate Tipping Point’s impact to key constituencies: establish core messaging, draft meeting and presentation talking points, and provide design input.
- Write copy for various platforms including blogs, speaking opportunities, email, digital, newsletters, case studies, white papers, and print collateral.
- Build strong relationships between departments and across the organization.
- Identify opportunities to elevate your assigned department’s work within the context of Tipping Point’s brand recognition.
Who are you?
- You are a writer and a storyteller. You have a gift for connecting with audiences through your exceptional writing skills. You are experienced at translating complex concepts into clear and actionable content.
- You have at least 7 years of experience as a communications professional. You are extremely organized and seasoned at leading simultaneous projects from start to finish. You enjoy doing whatever it takes to execute and you have fun collaborating with others in the process.
- You are a creative problem solver. You have the ability to flourish with minimal guidance, be proactive, and handle uncertainty and ambiguity. You get a kick out of digging deep and delivering the best results.
- You are passionate. Passionate about the issues, your role, our impact, or anything else. That passion energizes you.
- You are wildly curious. You are always looking for opportunities to learn and grow. You can adapt to new ideas, processes and concepts.
- You invest in people. You recognize you are part of a whole. You learn from others, teach those around you, and truly care about the people you work with.
- You are a leader. You lead by example, you inspire others, and you take action.
Nice to have*:
- Strong knowledge and understanding of digital/social media, or a willingness/aptitude to learn quickly.
- Experience using data to tell a compelling story; ability to interpret data visualizations and suggest ways to simplify it for non-technical audiences.
- Experience partnering with user experience designers or service designers.
- Experience with the non-profit sector or with teams dedicated to developing strategic partnerships.
*“Nice to have” really means just that; it’s entirely possible that you don’t have any of these and are still a great fit.
It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas—we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have some interest and capabilities in others.
Ready to change your life? Apply now!
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Tipping Point will consider qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records for employment in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Click here to apply!
Minimum Education Required