The Communications Manager/Officer is responsible for promoting the work of New America’s Planetary Politics program among internal and external audiences, including practitioners, policy influencers, and community leaders. This role is an exciting opportunity to lead communications efforts — writing and editing, brand-building, media relations, relationship management, and events — for New America’s first cross-organizational program that seeks to reimagine a people- and planet-centered approach to policy. Launching this year, the Planetary Politics initiative seeks to cut a bold new line of thinking on how to conceive of human security at a time when rapid technological, environmental and demographic change is disrupting the way the world thinks about power, legitimacy, influence and institutions. The goal of the program is to champion emerging voices on today’s foreign policy and national security challenges from inside and outside of Washington and to make way for networked exchanges between stakeholders in the Global South and Global North that are seeking solutions to planetary wicked problems caused by digital disruption, climate change, energy transition, pandemics, armed conflict, and other boundary busting types of crises. This is no ordinary think tank program. For impact, it requires innovative communication and out of the box thinking about how to reach, cultivate and sustain diverse audiences. The communications position requires mastery of a skill set that includes a combination of writing and editing, brand building, media relations, stakeholder engagement and relationship building, and events management.
Strategic Communications Management:
- Develop and implement effective strategies for creating brand awareness, raising the global profile of New America’s research, advocacy, and events in the sphere of international affairs;
- Refine and oversee the implementation of the online communications strategy to effectively reach target audiences for Planetary Politics through online media channels – as designated by integrated campaign objectives tied to the organization's priorities;
- Anticipate emerging methods of digital storytelling and find audience-appropriate and practical uses for those technologies within program research, audience cultivation, and advocacy that can be leveraged for impact.
- Oversee the coordination of online publications and project-manage publication launches ensuring the necessary tasks are understood and completed by program staff, commissioned contributors;
- Develop or modify templates for digital publications — in close coordination with New America’s editorial, publications, events and communications (EPEC) team — that adhere to style and brand guidelines and editorial standards, identifying workflows for copyediting, fact-checking materials and ensuring that program staff and contributors are fully trained and briefed on brand and template standards;
- Work closely with program staff and the EPEC team to tap into creative, cutting-edge methods of digital storytelling — supplementing written content with various media elements (graphics, audio, video) to create interactive products that engage audiences and further our policy and program objectives.
- Manage public relations planning and outreach. This includes managing outreach campaigns — both generally and rapid response situations — around Planetary Politics and its publications, events, campaigns, supporting the team by writing media advisories and press releases, and drafting talking points.
- Serve as primary contact for press on behalf of Planetary Politics and Future Frontlines programs and respond to media inquiries. This includes maintaining an extensive media tracking database, managing contacts via CRM platforms, and working with program staff to prepare quarterly reports on media mentions and audience engagement.
- Manage and build out key media and outreach lists; segmenting lists for each project’s needs; developing press relationships to expand the reach of Planetary Politics’ media presence. Proactively engage reporters to highlight stories on issues that the initiative engages on and develop relationships with reporters working on these issues.
- Write and produce organizational collateral, including press kits and other marketing materials.
- Coordinate social media campaigns with internal and external partners as needed;
- Liaise with New America’s events, communications, editorial, and production (EPEC) team to ensure coordinated communications strategies and information-sharing for improved internal communications;
- Support the timeline and production of collateral and other outputs emerging from Planetary Politics, including policy papers, infographics, data visualizations, and other deliverables;
- Work closely with program staff to understand the various communication needs and develop and execute communications plans that fulfills those needs; and
- Day-to-day management and maintenance of Planetary Politics’s web presence, including: editing, proofreading, and posting content; instituting standards around tagging and organization of website content; and training program staff on website management.
- Communications Manager: Master’s Degree in communications, journalism, public relations, digital marketing or relevant field plus a minimum of 4 years experience in a similar communications management or coordination role; experience working in a newsroom environment or in magazine publishing is an advantage.
- Communications Officer: Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations or relevant field plus a minimum of 5 years' experience in a media or communications role. Past experience in newsroom or a fast-paced publishing environment is preferred.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills;
- Proven track record of pitching stories to media;
- Proven experience managing audience engagement applications and tools and creating targeted content is advantageous;
- Strong knowledge of communication practices and techniques;
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail;
- Fluency with word processing programs, database management, and experience with internet research;
- Adaptable, solution-oriented, tech-savvy, DIY-friendly candidates are preferred;
- Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, external partners and donors;
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability;
- Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to also be extremely effective independently with limited supervision and instruction at times;
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of service and response;
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment;
- Forward-looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions; and
- Must have confident demeanor and excellent rapport when interacting with all levels of staff.
How to apply:
Submit a resume, a one-page cover letter, and a writing sample of no more than 5 pages (2,000 words). Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We would like to fill this position as soon as possible.
Please no phone calls and no emails
New America is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our mission, our employees, and our communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.