The Tahirih Justice Center, a non-profit legal and social services organization headquartered in Falls Church, VA, seeks a Communications Assistant to join the National Development Team. Reporting to the Communications Manager, this role will be responsible for generating and supporting external communications relating to Tahirih’s activities, including emails to supporters, social media posts, web posts, newsletters, event scripts and blogs. These communications will position Tahirih as a national leader in service to and advocacy on behalf of women and girls fleeing human rights abuses, and will drive increases in supporter numbers, engagement and affinity over time.
The Communications Assistant will work closely with staff across the organization as the communications partner on a variety of strategic initiatives both national and local in nature. The successful candidate must be a self-starter and be able to translate broad concepts into actionable items. This role is ideal for a communications professional that thrives in a fast-paced, collaborative environment and has a strong passion for social justice.
More about Tahirih Justice Center
Founded in 1997, the Tahirih Justice Center is a national non-profit organization that supports the courage of immigrant women and girls who refuse to be victims of gender-based human rights abuses such as domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, female genital mutilation, and forced marriage. Its holistic model for protection combines free legal and social services with bridge-building policy advocacy, training and education. Tahirih is a Bahá'í-inspired organization and works to create a world where women and girls enjoy equality and can live in safety and with dignity. Tahirih has a staff of 70 with offices in Falls Church, VA; Houston, TX; Baltimore, MD; San Francisco, CA and an office soon to be opened in Atlanta, GA. Tahirih’s annual operating budget is approximately $9M and growing.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
· Draft and support content such as emails to supporters, social media posts, web posts, newsletters, event scripts and blogs
· Identify significant issues that can be leveraged to support Tahirih’s work, and create and implement plans to leverage them
· Provide strategy guidance, content, and technical support for local office communications including Pro Bono Network newsletters, galas and other events, and end-of-year reporting
· Coordinate with members of the communications team and others throughout the organization to create timely content that is consistent with the organization’s messaging platform and style
· Report quarterly on progress toward communications goals
· Work closely with Communications Manager to ensure coordination of communications and messaging
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
· 0-2 years of relevant experience, ideally as a communications or marketing specialist responsible for generating short, engaging content
· Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
· Demonstrated experience leveraging current technologies to communicate with large audiences, and developing/maintaining a virtual presence
· Commitment to Tahirih’s mission, clients, and nonpartisan communications style
· Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
· A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on generating content for a variety of key initiatives concurrently
· Relationship builder both internally and externally
· High energy and maturity with the ability to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
· Strong project manager, with an ability to coordinate deliverables across multiple internal constituents
Annual salary and benefits: Competitive compensation depends on experience. Generous benefits include fully-paid employee health, vision and dental insurance; a 401(k) defined contribution retirement plan; flexible work schedules; professional development including in-house training programs, staff enrichment retreats and other growth opportunities. Employees have a very generous self-managed leave benefit inclusive of vacation, sick and holidays, including an office closure the week between Christmas and New Year’s.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submissions: Please include a cover letter demonstrating how you meet the above qualifications, a resume, 2-3 writing samples, and a list of three professional references.
Please note: Candidates applying must have work authorization in the United States.
Tahirih Justice Center is committed to equal opportunity and promotes equity and transparency as core values. Tahirih practices inclusiveness in decision making through the use of consultation with employees throughout the organization. Tahirih does not discriminate against any person on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, ability, gender, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, arrest record or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. Applicants committed to equity from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and identities are encouraged to apply.