1007 General Kennedy Ave
1st Floor, Building 1007
Classification and Time: Full-time, Non-exempt
Hourly rate: $24 per hour
Benefits: Employer-paid health, dental and vision (per FUF Employee Handbook dated 9/17), 403(b) retirement plan, and ten paid holidays
Reports to: Community Engagement Program Manager
Date: October 2018
About Friends of the Urban Forest (FUF)
Friends of the Urban Forest is a nonprofit organization that helps individuals and neighborhood groups plant and care for street trees and sidewalk gardens in San Francisco. By making San Francisco greener, FUF supports the health and livability of the urban environment. Since 1981, FUF has planted more than 60,000 trees, totaling almost half of the city's street tree canopy.
The Office Administrator provides operational support to the FUF team and serves as the first point of contact for community groups and individuals curious about FUF programs, including tree planting, tree care, and sidewalk landscaping community events. This includes responding to public inquiry in a friendly and professional manner, supporting the development and maintenance of information systems, and managing general office and clerical tasks. This position works closely with staff, community members, and community groups in various settings and reports to Community Engagement Program Manager.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Details and Responsibilities
I. Stakeholder Communication ~ 60% of time
- Welcomes and directs office visitors
- Answers FUF’s main phone line and email address, responding promptly to general questions and triaging complex requests
- Tracks calls and contacts in the FUF Salesforce database
- Assists in ensuring that information on the FUF website is updated, accurate and user-friendly
- Communicates accurate information with welcoming clarity, deep patience and compassion, and a sense of humor
II. Office Administration ~ 40% of time
- Updates databases and organizes digital file storage systems, including Google Drive
- Keeps up-to-date with office correspondence and takes on office management tasks as they arise
- Maintains physical office space and assists with preparing office space for meetings, as needed
- Manages vehicle fleet, including tracking repairs and documenting periodic maintenance
- Collaborates with other staff in day-to-day operations
- Surveys staff needs for office supplies and FUF merchandise; places and receives orders
- Assists staff with special events as needed
- Experience with customer service (phone, email, in person)
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage competing priorities and deadlines
- Experience, comfort, and skill in communicating with diverse audiences
- Excellent writing, editing, verbal, presentation, and analytical skills
- A passion for urban sustainability and commitment to inclusive community engagement
- Fluency in Cantonese and/or Mandarin is highly desirable but not required to excel in this position
- A valid CA driver’s license with a clean driving record and valid vehicle insurance if driving a personal car for work
- Applicant must submit to a record check and fingerprinting per California Penal Code section 11105.3 as it relates to their work with minors in the Youth Tree Care Program
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outdoor weather and working conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Office workspace and cubicle assignments change from time-to-time and employees should not have any expectation that any assignment is permanent.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
40 hours per week, Monday through Friday.
Minimum Education Required