141 Franklin Street
CASE MANAGER – PERMANENT SUPPORTIVE HOUSING
MSW or a Masters in a Mental Health field required;
Clinical experience a plus
WEEKDAYS 9:00AM to 5:30 PM
Inspirica is one of the largest organizations serving the homeless in Connecticut. We provide emergency, transitional and permanent housing, support services, youth services, education and employment training to 500 adults and children in lower Fairfield County each year. In addition to being homeless, the people we serve often suffer from mental illness, substance abuse and/or HIV/AIDS. Many have severe cognitive impairments, a history of incarceration, little or no work history, and little or no education. All of our participants live at or below poverty level.
Our mission is to break the cycle of homelessness by helping people achieve – and maintain – permanent housing and stability in their lives. We accomplish this by addressing not just the physical housing part of homelessness, but all of the reasons a participant is homeless. This includes providing not only education and employment training but also collaborating with a vast array of external partners to provide medical/dental care, mental health care, substance abuse treatment as well as a range of other needs including, securing Social Security benefits, ADL’s, socialization skills, and employment.
Inspirica is a results-oriented organization with a caring professional staff and dedicated volunteers who believe in individual human potential, personal accountability and mutual respect.
Case Manager - Permanent Supportive Housing: Overview
The Case Manager will serve the residents at the Permanent Supportive Housing locations listed below. Permanent Supportive Housing is a successful, cost-effective combination of affordable housing with services that helps people live more stable, productive lives.
Atlantic Park Apartments, located at 660 Atlantic Street in the South End of Stamford, is designed to provide permanent, affordable housing for low-income single adults. Each of the 27 efficiency apartments includes a bedroom, living room and kitchen furniture. For those individuals who qualify, rent subsidies are available, (i.e., Shelter Plus Care and Section 8). The residents require varying levels of services; some residents are totally self-sufficient, while others require more intensive case services.
24 & 26 Woodland Place, located in the South end Campus of Inspirica have a total of nine deeply affordable family apartments. These units are for self-sufficient families where at least one of the parents is working. The Case Manager will serve as an occasional resource for these families, as needed.
The Case Manager reports to the Director of Permanent Housing and is responsible for maintaining his/her own case load. Additionally, the Case Manager will run events to promote resident socialization, make sure program rules and policies are followed, monitor participant progress, and serve as back up for the Director as needed. The case manager will provide the tenants with primary services including but not limited to: counseling, assistance in securing benefits, money management, help securing transportation and legal assistance, linkages to health and behavioral health services, and employment and education supports.
Specific Job Duties
1. The Case Manager will generally work from 9:00am to 5:30 pm Monday through Friday, but hours may vary in order to:
· Address emergencies (client crises, etc.) in the Program that cannot be handled remotely
· Make sure the clients are safe during serious weather incidents. The Case Manager must report to work even in bad weather.
2. The Case Manager will be responsible for all case management for the tenants of these buildings. This includes conducting client intakes, preparing case plans and updating them semi-annually, meeting with tenants as needed and preparing progress notes, and other reports as required. The case manager will:
· Assist clients in identifying goals and developing a service plan with client input
· Collect, organize, and interpret relevant client information on an ongoing basis
· Regularly follow up with clients to ensure progress on service plans is being made
· Coordinate services with other Inspirica programs, including the education and employment programs
· Maintain a good working knowledge of, and relationships with, other service providers in the community and identify and refer clients to appropriate resources, especially mental health resources, to enhance their self-sufficiency and well-being
· Monitor clients everyday living skills such as cooking, bathing, paying bills, etc. and work with family members or other agencies to link clients to services or help transition clients to other housing when they can no longer safely live independently
· Negotiate, mediate, and advocate for his/her clients to ensure they maintain their housing, and receive the services they need
· Coordinate house meetings and recreational activities
3. The Case Manager must be familiar with all external program requirements including those established by law, regulation or our contracts with funding agencies.
Candidates should have: a MSW or a Masters degree in a Mental Health field, and at least three years of experience working in social services (ideally persons with Mental Health Diagnoses), excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. Clinical experience is a plus. Candidates must be creative, energetic and comfortable working with a wide variety of people. Strong oral and written communication skills are required. Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills are a must. Candidates must be able to work well both independently and as a member of a team and be capable of meeting specific goals and deadlines.
Proficiency in Microsoft Office 2013 required. Must have a valid driver's license with a good driving record and must be able to come to work even in bad weather. Fluency in Spanish, or Haitian Creole is a plus.
This is a full time position and the chosen candidate will be eligible for full benefits. The compensation level is competitive.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Candidates should submit resume, cover letter, and writing sample by e-mail to email@example.com .
Inspirica is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including age, race, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, veteran status, the presence of a non-job related handicap, or any other legally protected status.