District of Columbia
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Full-time; Exempt
We’re looking for a Chief-of-Staff—a new position that will report directly to the Executive Director and will be part of our senior leadership team.The Chief-of-Staff will work closely with the Executive Director and our four Managing Directors to drive project workflow, oversee operations, and manage key strategic relationships and initiatives for The Hub.Key areas of responsibility for this role will include: overseeing core operations; overall people management, including professional development, recruiting, and hiring; risk management and coordinating legal services; driving a comprehensive approach to diversity, equity, and inclusion at The Hub; managing key strategic initiatives and special projects; and partner development.We’re looking for someone who can thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment and who is committed to our mission. We are looking for someone who can bring proven problem-solving skills to the week-to-week challenges of the organization, as well as insights and experience to help guide our longer-term strategy for growth and development.This is a new senior position that will play an integral leadership role at Hub Project. We are looking for someone with experience working with organizations that focus on public policy and political/advocacy campaigns or communications. This is a highly strategic and facilitative role that requires a combination of focus and flexibility, as well as a willingness to play an active, behind-the-scenes role. This position requires a highly-resourceful individual with strong emotional intelligence, self-motivation, and analytical skills.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Work closely with the Executive Director on overall management of the Hub. Assist and advise the Executive Director in developing, communicating, and implementing organizational goals, values, and policies; serve as a proxy to the Executive Director for certain meetings and decisions.
- Deliver work in a deadline-driven environment and handle multiple priorities in an efficient manner.
- Lead and help manage a large number of people with competing priorities across departments.
- Oversee the work of the Operations Manager and her team to manage workflow on core operations. Key areas of focus over the next year will likely include: overall vendor assessment and improving our RFP processes; managing office space growth and transition; and, internal communications process improvements.
- Build out our processes for recruiting, hiring, and professional development.
- Manage overall Hub legal work; including working with outside law firms to guide legal compliance and other risk management efforts.
- Oversee a comprehensive approach to diversity, equity, and inclusion at The Hub that is expansive in informing what we do, how we do it, and who we do it with.
- Along with the Executive Director and Managing Directors, maintain outreach and strategic partnerships with national progressive organizations and help us incorporate a more cross-cutting, transformational approach to partnerships focused on developing deeper relationships across projects with key partners.
- Drive key special projects and strategic initiatives, including staff retreats and the formation of an Advisory Council for The Hub.
- You have a bachelor’s degree. An advanced degree, particularly in law or business/management would be a plus.
- You have substantial relevant work experience, including around organizational operations, people and project management.
- You have a proven ability to multi-task and work under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- You are extremely well-organized and detail-oriented.
- You have a demonstrated ability to handle confidential information appropriately.
- You have excellent writing and verbal communications skills.
- You have a knack for building and managing strong relationships.
- You have strong interpersonal skills with an ability to work effectively with employees at all levels.
- You are wise and calm in exigent circumstances.
- You work well under pressure and handle stress with a sense of humor and grace.
Launched in 2016, The Hub Project is composed of a growing team of communications, research, and organizing experts who have extensive experience in campaign strategy, digital advocacy, and polling and analytics.
We believe in a country where everyone has the opportunity to succeed in our economy and participate in our democracy, and we make that vision a reality by partnering with advocacy groups – bringing surge capacity and coordination to build innovative and effective campaigns.
New Venture Fund Careers
The Hub is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. The New Venture Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential.The New Venture Fund’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
E-mail your resume and cover letter as PDF or Word attachments to: email@example.com. Please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line.This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled.Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from The Hub. Thank you for your interest.