The Bridge, an innovative and well respected mental health agency serving adults with serious mental illness, substance abuse, co-occurring mental health and substance abuse disorders, and co-morbid medical conditions is seeking a Registered Nurse (RN) to work on a newly funded innovative care transition team that exclusively serves individuals identified by Mt. Sinai PPS as high utilizers of emergency and behavioral health services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assess patient health problems and needs reflective of holistic needs, develop and implement nursing care plans, and maintain medical records
- Consult and coordinate with healthcare team members to assess, plan, implement, or evaluate care plans; advise patients on health maintenance and disease prevention including effects of diet and physical activity and provide case management
- Health education and connection to primary care to address physical health issues that impact a patient’s ability to successfully live in the community; oversees the direct implementation of nursing care to ensure that it is carried out in accordance with the plan of nursing intervention and overall treatment/service plan and to ascertain if the needs of the patient require modification of the plan; monitor, record, and report symptoms or changes in patients' conditions and record medical information and vital signs
- Participates at team and administrative meetings and provides nursing input on the development and implementation of treatment/service plans; provides information to other clinical staff, supportive housing staff, and administrators on nursing standards of practice and procedures; provides health education/teaching for patients and their families for specific medical needs, preventative care, and how to access and utilize healthcare services in the community; conducts counseling sessions, with direction as needed by other qualified professionals, according to principles of communication, human behavior and psychiatric nursing; participates in risk management and quality assurance concerning health related issues; performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of professional nursing concepts, principles and practices.
- Knowledge of concepts and principles from the biological sciences that are supportive of nursing practice; knowledge of concepts and principles of trauma informed care, health promotion and disease prevention; knowledge of abnormal signs and symptoms relating to physical and mental illness, as well as indicators of wellness
- Knowledge of medications and drugs, common dosages, their psychological, physical and physiological effects and possible adverse reactions; knowledge of emergency treatments and interventions; knowledge of the Agency's routines, procedures and policies.
- Knowledge of cultural, ethnic, customs, beliefs, and linguistic needs of clients relating to cultural competence; ability to recognize changes in signs and symptoms that warrant the immediate action of a physician; ability to develop, evaluate, implement and modify a plan of nursing intervention to meet the needs of individual clients.
- Ability to secure the cooperation of and work effectively with others. Ability to prepare accurate and timely reports; ability to use agency Electronic Health Record to document services; ability to use electronic data bases to track services received and make referrals.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:License and current registration to practice as a registered nurse in New York State; prefer at least one year post RN licensure clinical nursing experience working with individuals with mental health needs.
Excellent compensation package including, free health insurance coverage, paid time off, paid holidays...
Minimum Education Required