1129 20th Street NW
The U.S. Global Leadership Coalition (USGLC) is seeking an experienced Veterans Outreach Manager to assist in expanding USGLC’s partnerships and activities with the veteran community. The ideal candidate will have a military background or extensive familiarity with the military/veteran community. Prior service in the U.S. Armed Forces and 3-5 years of experience in a political or issue advocacy campaign with strong networking and communications skills is strongly preferred. Frequent travel is expected.
The Veterans Outreach Manager will work directly with the Veterans Outreach Director and the National Outreach Team to recruit, engage, and mobilize members of USGLC’s Veterans for Smart Power initiative in our efforts to support U.S. global engagement through civilian-led development and diplomacy programs. Veterans for Smart Power (VSP) is a nationwide network of veterans of all ages, ranks, and branches who believe in the importance of advancing America’s leadership role in the world through the elevation of America’s civilian-tools of development and diplomacy, alongside defense. VSP gives veterans a voice in foreign policy by equipping them with the tools they need to educate and inspire the American public and policymakers on the importance of a “smart power” approach to national security.
- Recruiting, Educating, and Engaging Veterans. The Manager will work directly with the Veterans Outreach Director, in building a nationwide network of veterans to advance the USGLC’s public policy agenda by organizing an active network of 50-100 veterans in 30+ priority states. The Manager will work with regional teams to identify, recruit, and educate these veterans through events and personal outreach.
- Veteran’s Leadership Council. The Manager will assist to grow the USGLC’s national Veteran’s Leadership Council, a group of twenty to thirty veteran activists from each of our priority states that work with the USGLC to implement our Outreach activities. In addition, the Council includes approximately 30-40 veterans living in the D.C. area that are able and willing to participate in USGLC Washington based activities.
- Expanding the Grassroots Online Community. The Veteran Outreach Manager will create and identify opportunities to expand our online network of 30,000 veterans across the country, including creating a dynamic communications platform.
- Mobilizing Veteran Community. The Manager will work inter-departmentally to mobilize the veteran community to educate policymakers and the public about the importance of development and diplomacy to American national security. This could include media opportunities, participating in in-district meetings, and speaking at events.
- Manage Effective Communications. This position will require superior writing and public speaking skills. The Manager will regularly speak in front of diverse audiences on behalf of the Veterans for Smart Power program and other USGLC initiatives. Additionally, the Manager will work with the Veterans Outreach Director and the Communications team to implement a strategy to educate and engage the USGLC veteran community. This will include developing messages and populating the Veterans for Smart Power website, ongoing conference calls/e-letters to elite veterans, and education events.
- Other veteran program and administrative tasks as assigned.
Qualifications & Skills
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in political science, public policy, international relations or another related field.
- Familiarity and demonstrated experience in an outreach role.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience in a political campaign, issue-advocacy setting, or veteran advocacy organization.
- Knowledge of international relations as well as a demonstrated ability to organize high-level individuals in advocacy efforts.
- Ability to proactively engage prominent leaders in the political, business, faith-based, military, academic, and civic communities.
- Outstanding public speaking, oral and written communication and networking skills.
- Ability to conduct and succinctly write research and memoranda for internal and external audiences.
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, fluid and flexible team environment.
- Frequent travel is required.
Candidates should send their resume, cover letter and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference “Veteran Outreach Manager” in the subject line. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No calls please.
Competitive salary will be offered, commensurate with experience and qualifications. The USGLC also provides a package of benefits, including health and disability insurance, retirement plan, paid annual and sick leave and federal holidays.
About the USGLC
The U.S. Global Leadership Coalition (USGLC) is a broad-based influential network of 500 businesses and NGOs; national security and foreign policy experts; and business, faith-based, academic and community leaders in all 50 states who support a civilian-led approach of elevating diplomacy and development alongside defense in order to build a better, safer world.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required