District of Columbia
Come join a hard-hitting, successful medical research team working to counter the power of the pharmaceutical, medical device, and other health care-related industries in Washington, D.C. The group was begun in 1971 by Ralph Nader and Dr. Sidney Wolfe. We petition the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to take dangerous drugs and devices off the market, call out the FDA when it gets too cozy with the industries it regulates, blow the whistle on unethical clinical trials, work to improve patient safety and state medical board oversight of dangerous doctors, and advocate for stronger safeguards for workers.
The Web Coordinator primarily maintains and updates the HRG’s web site content and serves as the group’s liaison with the IT department. The incumbent also provides support to HRG program areas as directed.
1. Coordinate with HRG staff to ensure accurate and timely posting of all HRG publications and reports. Includes drafting title and concise description for each posted publication.
2. Design, co-write, post and send monthly WorstPills.org e-newsletter; coordinate and send monthly and ad hoc e-alerts to WorstPills.org subscribers.
3. Coordinate posting, indexing and abstracts of all items to be posted on WorstPills.org.
4. Index and archive all HRG publications on the HRG shared drive.
5. Manage the updating of drug monographs posted on WorstPills.org.
6. Routinely update and maintain all other HRG web pages and web-based databases.
7. Manage WorstPills.org billing activities.
8. In coordination with the IT department, analyze web statistics to track user paths and make changes to ensure the most efficient method of navigation throughout the web sites.
9. In consultation with the IT department, coordinate search engine optimization and search engine marketing efforts for WorstPills.org.
10. In consultation with the IT and Communications department, identify creative strategies to enhance the HRG website's effectiveness and usability and implement such strategies with the approval of the HRG Director.
11. Assist HRG staff with technology needs, including providing initial computer/telephone introductory training for new employees; provide additional training as needed in coordination with IT department.
12. Provide support for HRG staff (e.g., faxing, mailing, photocopying, etc.)
13. Respond to consumer inquiries by email in coordination with Member Services, as needed.
14. Assist HRG researchers with data entry into databases and spreadsheets related to research projects.
15. Participate in other projects as determined by the Managing Editor and the Director.
16. Other duties as assigned.
Education: College degree.
Knowledge: Extensive knowledge of software and web technologies, including, but not limited to: Content Management System web applications, HTML, Adobe Acrobat Pro, and WYSIWYG web editing software. Expert knowledge of Microsoft Office environment (Word, Access, Excel and Powerpoint). Facility with searching and downloading data from Internet sites. Familiarity with Web standards (including accessibility standards), Google Analytics and CSS preferred.
Work Experience: At least one years of comparable web-related experience desirable. Experience writing health-related materials for consumers or working in a health care environment desirable.
Skills: Strong verbal communication, written communication, analytical and organizational skills. Ability to train staff with varying degrees of computer experience. Adept at learning new software. Ability to work independently. Must have exceptional attention to detail to ensure accurate posting of web content.
Capabilities: Must be able to work effectively with a wide range of people, work well under pressure, and adapt to changing situations on a daily basis. Must evaluate group needs and prioritize time based on these needs.
Conditions: Strong interest in and commitment to the public interest and the ability to work in a fast-paced and demanding environment.
Salary and Benefits:
Competitive salary commensurate with experience; 100% employer paid health insurance for employees; three weeks paid vacation for new employees and more.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Michael Carome at email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Michael Carome at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please