55 Exchange Place
SEO Scholars is a free eight-year academic program that gets talented, low-income public high school students to and through college.
SEO Scholars seeks Writing Instructors to help our 12th grade Scholars revise and refine their personal statements for their college applications. Instructors will teach classes and provide individualized feedback both in person and through Google Drive. We are looking for passionate educators with a student-centered approach to teaching and learning.
Teach a rigorous, inspiring curriculum!
All lesson plans and all curricular materials are provided.
High-quality professional development and training
SEO provides professional development, individual coaching, and opportunities to engage with other instructors in
a collegial, inspiring environment that encourages reflection and growth.
Promote depth of understanding along with skill acquisition
Instructors are considered thinking coaches and facilitators of learning who support students’ deep engagement
with course content.
- Teaching Load - Teach classes of approximately 20 students (2-4 hours of teaching per day).
- Attendance & Punctuality - Commit to teach on all scheduled days of programming, arrive to programming on time (30 min before first class), and attend all meetings as scheduled by staff.
- Careful Preparation – Read and annotate all lesson materials prior to teaching.
- Instruction - Follow the required lesson plans and meet lesson objectives. Meet criteria for rigorous instruction.
- Feedback – Provide feedback on student drafts by established deadline.
- Abide by all SEO Procedures and Policies.
Fall Semester classes take place from Saturday, September 8 to Saturday, December 15.
During the month of September, instructors will teach two, 90-minute classes each Saturday. From October to December, instructors will teach 4, 60-minute classes each Saturday.
In addition to Saturday classes, instructors will provide students feedback electronically on their personal statements, and possibly supplemental essays.
While the position is primarily on Saturdays, there may be some weekday hours. Our weekday classes meet Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 4:30-6:30 p.m.
Saturday classes will be at Long Island University (Brooklyn) in Downtown Brooklyn.
- The ideal candidate:
- Has expertise and depth of knowledge in writing (particularly personal statement or narrative writing) and providing feedback on student writing
- Strong familiarity with the college admissions process
- Has high school teaching experience and a genuine love for teaching
- Is passionate about student learning and dedicated to students’ success
- Has Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Is an energetic, reflective, and conscientious teacher looking to join a supportive and diverse community
- Is flexible and reliable
- Is motivated and inspired by SEO Scholars’ mission
- Is proficient with Google Drive and has familiarity with Google Classroom
Writing Instructors are compensated at a competitive hourly rate.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply for this position, visit our website here: www.seoscholars.org/teach-with-us/
We look forward to reviewing your application!
Sponsors for Educational Opportunity is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/D/V