Details: Compensation commensurate with experience.
1904 Byrd Ave.
This is a unique opportunity to join an established, successful grassroots organization and
help take it to its next level of achievement. You will work closely with a well-connected
and committed Board of Directors, a dedicated group of volunteers and supporters, and a
skilled and experienced program team.
The Executive Director is the chief operating officer for NAMI Central Virginia and as
such, will provide direction and leadership toward the achievement of NAMI Central
Virginia’s mission: NAMI Central Virginia promotes recovery and is dedicated to
improving the lives of Central Virginians with serious mental illness through education,
support, advocacy, resources, and anti-stigma campaigns. The Executive Director, with
direction and guidance from the Board of Directors, will work with the President to
implement strategic plans, will build consensus within the membership, and will acquire
necessary resources and support for growth of the organization.
NAMI Central Virginia is a role model of success beginning in the 1980’s as an all-
volunteer organization. With the intense dedication of a strong and capable Board of
Directors and the leadership of an exceptional Executive Director (so titled in 2016), the
organization has grown in financial sustainability from an annual budget of $20K to a
budget over $200,000. NAMI Central Virginia saw the need and began initiating
programs to serve those within the Richmond area who experience mental illness in their
lives. Starting one program at a time, the organization has increased its programs to meet
the needs of families and their loved ones. These Programs include:
• Connections Support Group
• Creative Meetup – An Art Group for Peers
• Ray’s Friends
• In Our Own Voice
• FaithNet/Sharing Hope
• NAMI Basics
• Children’s Challenging Behaviors Workshop
• Family Support Groups
• Ending the Silence
• Parents and Teachers as Allies
• Richmond YouthMOVE Youth Group
• Mental Health First Aid for Youth
• NAMI Smarts
This success has been achieved with a very committed, working Board of Directors and
by engaging a caring community of volunteers and professionals, both private and public,
who support the organization’s mission.
To learn more about NAMI Central Virginia please visit www.namicentralvirginia.org.
Under the direction of the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for
overall management and operation of NAMI Central Virginia, ensuring stability and
growth. With the assistance of the NAMI Central Virginia Board of Directors, the
Executive Director will specifically manage six critical elements: 1) nonprofit
operations, 2) finance, 3) programs and events, 4) fundraising/development, 5)
volunteers, and 6) community relations and advocacy. Identified within each element are
key responsibilities listed below.
1. Nonprofit Operations
• Lead and manage staff and maximize the organization’s effectiveness through
coordination with community partners, NAMI Virginia, volunteers, and general
• Manage the NAMI CVA annual calendar and the Information and Resource Booklet.
• Work with the Board President to set the agenda for Board meetings.
• Reports to the Board as specified in NAMI Central Virginia By-Laws.
• Leads and directs staff in the performance of duties. Provides required staff evaluation
• Promotes an office culture that builds on collaborative problem-solving and that
maintains a “customer service” orientation with all involved.
• Works with the Board of Directors to establish strategic direction of the organization
and carry out the mission of NAMI Central Virginia.
• Leads effort to achieve annual goals.
• Work with the Treasurer to insure that NAMI Central Virginia complies with local,
state, and federal regulations including registrations and tax filings and all financial
• Works to maintain Affiliate Status with NAMI National.
• Responsible for the development of annual budget.
• Prepare financial reports with Finance Committee.
• Review financial reports with the Board of Directors.
• Ensure compliance with organizational financial procedures and policies
• Monitor NAMI Central Virginia cash flow and report to the Board of Directors any
• Maintain accounting records.
• Retain all NAMI Central Virginia records in accordance with policy.
• Implement a strategy to encourage membership renewals and increase new
3. Programs and Events
• Carries out the implementation of NAMI Central Virginia programs and policies as
established by the Board.
• Brings together the various programs of the organization, coordinating across program
areas to strengthen the work of each, and to gain greater impact from better
communication, teamwork, and sharing of resources and ideas.
• Promotes awareness and visibility of the NAMI vision.
• Attends NAMI National’s Annual Conference and other events as directed by the
• Provide leadership and management for NAMI Central Virginia sponsored events.
• Create and implement a comprehensive fundraising strategy for the organization,
collaborating with the Finance and Development Committee. Help to expand
philanthropic support for the organization through identification and cultivation of
individual, foundation, corporate and public sources of revenue.
• Work with the Board to develop short-term, intermediate, and long-range Development
and Fundraising goals; develop strategies for achieving these goals.
• Responsible for the research and submission of all grant proposals and requests. Serves
as the fiscal agent for all federal, state and local foundation grants and the monitoring
of the progress of these projects to ensure compliance with the terms of the grants
including timely submission of all reports.
• Plays a meaningful role in all aspects of donor relations.
• Cultivate and sustain individual donors.
• Identify and pursue new funding and partnering opportunities.
• Oversee donor stewardship and develop and expand relevant databases.
• Build and maintain an active presence on nonprofit portals.
• Manage critical communication materials (e.g., website, social networks, annual report,
brochures, email reports); ensure they are consistent with the NAMI Central Virginia
mission, vision, and core values, and are regularly updated and maintained.
• Encourage positive supportive relationships with all volunteers.
• Work to increase our volunteer participation by identifying new volunteers on a regular
6. Community Relations and Advocacy
• Represents NAMI Central Virginia as its Executive Director in interactions with other
organizations, individuals, and the general public.
• Works in collaboration with NAMI Virginia to fulfill the mission and goals of NAMI.
• Fosters and maintains relationships with related advocacy organizations, community
organizations, government, educational organizations, and other relevant partners of
NAMI Central Virginia.
• Communicates NAMI Central Virginia’s position in interactions with various agencies,
organizations and advocacy groups.
Experience and Skills Desired
• Ability to oversee a multifaceted organization and inspire passionate belief in the
mission of NAMI Central Virginia
• Financial management experience (budget development and management).
• Demonstrated strategic planning experience.
• Excellent interpersonal skills; experience working respectfully and successfully with
Board(s) of Directors and volunteers.
• Demonstrated ability to develop, evaluate, and implement plans, policies and
procedures, and resolve problems.
• Successful track record in fundraising with foundations, corporations and individuals.
• Ability to represent the organization as a spokesperson.
• Capability to communicate effectively with multiple audiences.
• Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree preferred in related field such as nonprofit
management and/or significant and relevant related experience.
• Five to seven years of experience working with nonprofit organizations, boards of
directors, and volunteers
Benefits include full-time salary, paid time off, and health insurance.
Minimum Education Required