Details: Salary commensurate upon experience
10 G Street NE
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. We are working to address six critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water and sustainable cities.
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include: integrity, innovation, urgency, independence and respect.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges,and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years and our operating budget is now $100 million. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of nearly 700 people with work spanning 50 countries. We have offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States.
This is a unique opportunity to learn from one of our high impact initiatives to increase the ambition of the private sector to reduce GHG emissions. In this role, you will join a team of highly motivated individuals working on science-based target setting for greenhouse gases. WRI's work on Science Based Targets is based in WRI's Business Center. The work is performed primarily through our role in the Science based Targets initiative (SBTi). The SBTi is a collaboration of CDP, World Resources Institute (WRI), the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF), and the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC) and one of the We Mean Business Coalition commitments. The initiative mobilizes companies to set science-based target setting as a way to create competitive advantage in the transition to the low-carbon economy. The initiative:
- Showcases companies that set science-based targets through case studies, events and media to highlight the increased innovation, reduced regulatory uncertainty, strengthened investor confidence and improved profitability and competitiveness generated by science-based target setting
- Defines and promotes best practice in science-based target setting with the support of a Technical Advisory Group
- Offers resources, workshops and guidance to reduce barriers to adoption
- Independently assesses and approves companies’ targets
- WRI also engages directly with companies to provide advisory services on setting science-based targets
Your main areas of responsibility will include the following:
Research & Knowledge (80% of time required)
- Conduct review of company targets against the Science Based Targets initiative's eligibility criteria
- Production of clear and concise target evaluation reports using the Science Based Targets initiative template
- Help to write knowledge products related to science-based GHG target setting (e.g. guidance, reports, briefs, data products)
- Contribute to research on sector-specific approaches to setting science-based targets
- Present at internal/external meetings
- Co-authoring blog posts and other communication documents
- Support advisory service projects with companies on setting science-based targets
Administrative (20% of time required)
- Liaise with external partners and WRI colleagues across programs and countries
- Organize internal and external meetings, workshops, conferences and other outreach activities.
- Bachelor's Degree in Environmental Sciences, Environmental or Energy Economics, Environmental Policy, Environmental or Chemical Engineering or related area required. Master's degree highly preferred
- Minimum 2-3 years of full-time work experience with corporate greenhouse gas management, greenhouse gas accounting, or corporate sustainability preferred
- A successful candidate will demonstrate excellent qualitative and/or quantitative research and writing skills
- Prior experience in analyzing and writing research products
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Office and internet research
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with teams of individuals and colleagues
- Flexibility to travel
Level of Language Proficiency
Bachelor's Degree in Environmental Sciences, Environmental or Energy Economics, Environmental Policy, Environmental or Chemical Engineering or related area required. Master's degree highly preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified applicants must apply online at careers.wri.org to be considered.