The Eli and Edythe Broad Stage at the Santa Monica College Performing Arts Center, currently in its 11th season, is a 535‐seat theater with an adjoining 120-seat black box theater. The Broad Stage is home to a stunning spectrum of artists, from world‐renowned Mikhail Baryshnikov and Jonas Kaufmann to Grammy‐winner Stanley Clarke and Broadway veteran Brian Stokes Mitchell. Building a new generation of audience and artists, The Broad Stage strives to promote artistic excellence, creativity, collaboration and the free exchange of ideas in an open, caring community of learners.
The Broad Stage is looking for an experienced professional to manage the development and successful execution of marketing, communications, promotions, and sales plans for a multidisciplinary performing arts center, generating revenue of $1.5 million+ in ticket sales and memberships. This position will also be responsible for maintaining and developing key partnerships with media, promotions, and corporate partners to maximize the Broad Stage reach and develop new audiences.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
· Report and work closely with Executive Director and COO to develop strategies to expand audience, heighten visibility and increase earned income.
· Ensure branding consistency while exploring alternative visual marketing activities and taking risks creatively in order to push beyond traditional advertising platforms.
· Develop a cohesive marketing strategy that reflects each program’s artistic and programmatic goals and helps build wide and diverse audiences.
· Work closely with Director of Development to find ways to further align membership and marketing efforts.
· Create and manage departmental budget and oversee fiscal spending of department within the financial parameters advised by the Executive Director and COO.
· Maintains ultimate responsibility for sales goals: Prepare annual marketing plan, budget, and timeline; track and forecast on actual and projected sales with regular reports to ED and COO with recommended adjustments as needed.
· Keep informed of new developments in the field of arts marketing to ensure that all marketing plans utilize the most cost effective marketing tools with the highest ratio of return.
· Conduct relevant market research.
· Formulate strategies for and manage all aspects of the annual subscription acquisition, renewal and single-ticket campaigns.
· Oversee development and production of all marketing collateral materials, including brochures, advertisements, posters, signs and electronic media.
· Recruit, train, oversee, support, develop and guide qualified personnel.
· Manage outside consultants for department.
· Attend events as needed.
IDEAL SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS INCLUDE:
The ideal candidate will have the following:
· Minimum five years professional experience with demonstrated skills and knowledge in the planning and execution of marketing strategies for a non-profit performing arts center.
· Strong creative, strategic, visual, communication and written skills. Prior experience with the development of promotional/ sales copy for advertising, brochures, letters and electronic communications.
· Experience developing and managing budgets, hiring and supervising employees.
· Solid grasp of the numbers, ability to make accurate revenue and expense projections.
· Engaging and effective leader and manager who can nurture young talent and motivate and develop the marketing team.
· Ability to multitask, prioritize and manage time effectively.
· Knowledge of target marketing.
· Bachelor’s degree required.
The ideal candidate will be:
· Culturally literate, with knowledge and appreciation of the performing arts.
· Positive, energetic individual who will naturally generate enthusiasm and support for The Broad Stage.
· Well-organized and deadline-oriented, with exceptional attention to detail and follow-through.
· Emotionally mature and self-possessed; patient and tactful and the ability to work with a wide range of individuals, including staff, outside consultants and members of The Broad Stage Board.
· Confident, poised professional style that operates effectively in an artistic, ever changing environment.
This is a full‐time position, with health benefits, 401K, paid vacation, and holidays. Competitive salary, commensurate with experience.
Minimum Education Required