Staff Attorney Position in downtown Los Angeles
- Job posted by Immigration Center for Women and Children
Details: Salary is commensurate with experience
634 S. Spring St. #727
The Immigration Center for Women and Children (ICWC) seeks a full-time staff attorney in its Los Angeles office. ICWC is a non-profit legal organization providing affordable immigration services to underrepresented immigrants in California. ICWC strives to provide security and stability for children who are abused, abandoned or neglected and for immigrants who are victims of domestic violence, sexual assault and other violent crimes. The offices primarily work with federal immigration laws that allow victims to apply for work authorization and permanent residency. More information about ICWC is available at www.icwclaw.org.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The attorney will work with other attorneys and legal assistants. The attorney will be responsible for providing direct immigration legal services to victims of domestic violence, sexual assault and other violent crimes. Duties include: conducting client intake, case assessment, and ongoing case management; researching and drafting legal documents and attending court hearings. The attorney will work collaboratively with social service and law enforcement agencies. The attorney will primarily work with providing relief under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), the U visa, asylum and Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS) cases. The attorney will supervise law students and other volunteers.
- Juris Doctorate degree
- Active bar admission or awaiting February 2018 bar results; California bar preferred (but not required)
- Spanish language fluency: oral and written.
- Immigration law practice: 1-5 years
- U visa, VAWA, SIJS, and asylum experience (including law school clinic experience and internships) preferred
- Strong writing skills and meticulous attention to detail
- A demonstrated interest in low-income legal services and/or a commitment to immigrants' rights
- Ability to work effectively with victims of domestic violence and sexual assault
- Ability to work effectively and communicate with law enforcement, representatives of government and English/Spanish media
Benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, paid time off, retirement plan, FSA (flexible spending account for healthcare and commuting expenses), and reimbursement for preventative wellness activities. A relocation stipend is also available.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email Suzanne McCormick, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Staff Attorney ICWC Los Angeles”, the following: (1) cover letter, (2) resume and (3) brief writing sample.