Do you want to work at the intersection of politics, citizen activism, and data? Are you interested in a rapidly expanding organization that is changing the way people think and talk about democracy?
We seek an experienced data professional to help us expand our political and organizational footprint. The ideal candidate will have a background in fundraising as well as politics, democracy reform, or both. He or she will be responsible for conducting full lifecycle analysis and administration of the organization’s constituent relationship database to include requirements, design and activities. The position is responsible for providing support to Common Cause staff by producing timely and accurate lists and reports from the Revolution Online database as well as addressing questions and problems related to the database. This person needs to have a technical background including experience with SQL databases.
The ideal candidate is highly skilled at working with data, has at least five years’ experience managing a donor and/or membership database, detail-oriented, and has experience managing vendor relationships and has been through a database migration or upgrade.
- Produce monthly direct mail and telemarketing lists.
- Oversee the transmission of donor lists across our vendor network.
- Establish quality control procedures to ensure the audience is matched with the appropriate communications.
- Maintain data integrity and quality service by developing procedures, setting standards and controls for users in Revolution Online.
- Develop and conduct data hygiene procedures.
- Assess user needs and monitor user access and security privileges by assigning ROI user accounts.
- Maintain database performance by troubleshooting problems.
- Maintain database documentation and business rules updates.
- Conduct appropriate user training and provide information to new users as needed.
- Act as database resource for national and state staff providing first line support.
- Work with Development staff to provide data and analysis for direct mail and major donor fundraising campaigns.
- Work with Finance staff to ensure the data integrity from accurate source coding of data input through general ledger mapping and upload.
- Interface with external vendors to ensure accuracy of data segmentation and output for fundraising campaigns.
- Interpret data and analyze results using statistical techniques and provide ongoing reporting.
- Produce and distribute to national and state staff accurate and timely reports as needed.
- Oversee channel analysis to optimize the member experience.
- Identify opportunities for improved practices and procedures.
- Other related duties as necessary and requested.
- Minimum of 5 years primarily working with databases;
- Minimum of 3 years working with SQL databases including writing queries and creating reports (no programming necessary);
- Minimum of 3 years working with donor or membership databases;
- Experience using Microsoft Excel to manipulate data exports;
- Experience using Microsoft Word to do mail merge printing;
- Knowledge of the practices and principles of non-profit fundraising and/or prior experience with fundraising non-profit operations preferred;
- Understand relational databases, Boolean logic and data integrity checking;
- Experience using ROI or the online version of Raiser’s Edge preferred but not required;
- Ability to clearly communicate technical issues to non-technical staff;
- Attention to detail is essential;
- Solid critical thinking and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, multi-task and work under pressure;
- Experience with database conversion or migration a big plus;
- Working knowledge of Social Media tools, Facebook and Twitter.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit resume and cover letter to Director of Human Resources at hr (at) commoncause.org and include DATABASE MANAGER in the subject line; or fax to 202.355.7546. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to respond as soon as possible. Minorities are encouraged to apply.
Common Cause is a nonpartisan, grassroots organization dedicated to restoring core values of American Democracy, reinventing an open, honest, and accountable government that works for the public interest, and empowering ordinary people to make their voices heard.
Founded 48 years ago, Common Cause has over 1,000,000 members and supporters, and operations in 30 states across the country. At the national and state level, Common Cause is actively engaged in defending and advancing the core values of our democracy, which include politics not dominated by money, full access to voting and fair elections, economic opportunity for all, an ethical and accountable government, and an open and democratic media. More information can be found at: www.commoncause.org.
Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, party or political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any illegal or prohibited factor.