9000 Richmond Highway
The cashier serves as an informed ambassador for the Woodlawn & Pope-Leighey House and the National Trust for Historic Preservation, providing excellent customer service, admissions and museum shop support as a cashier.
This is a part time, seasonal position in which weekend hours are required. The museum is open Friday through Monday from March through December.
- Provide a positive introductory experience for all visitors and ensure that the museum is secure and properly monitored throughout the day.
- Conduct opening procedures that prepare the museum to receive visitors and closing procedures that ready the museum for the following day.
- Set up admissions desk and museum shop to include: preparing the register and cash drawer; reviewing online ticketing; and restocking museum shop items as needed.
- Sell admissions tickets and receive payments for museum shop purchases.
- Close and balance the cash register each evening and generate closing reports to accompany the deposit for the day.
- Provide visitor orientation, answer visitor questions both in person and on the telephone.
- Provide exceptional customer service to all site guests and interact positively and professionally with site colleagues.
- Assist with museum shop merchandise ordering and inventory processing.
- Convey the mission of the individual site and the National Trust for Historic Preservation, including announcing current initiatives and upcoming programs and events.
- Assist in monitoring collections security (building(s), objects, grounds) and visitor safety, responding calmly and professionally to emergencies and promptly notifying supervisor of incidents or unsafe conditions.
- Assist as needed with museum activities and other additional duties and responsibilities.
- Ability to commit to weekend work, at least one weekend day a week.
- Experience in retail establishments and the hospitality field required.
- Ability to properly operate cash register and complete transactions with visitors in a professional and timely manner.
- Previous experience in a museum or historic or cultural setting a plus.
- Effective and engaging interpersonal skills. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with ability to speak and read English fluently.
- Basic problem-solving skills, including issue identification and prioritization.
- Demonstrated ability to engage effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, including culturally diverse audiences, patrons and guests.
- Ability to adapt and be flexible in a dynamic work environment.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and skill set a plus.
- Regular and reliable attendance required.
- Ability to work weekends, holidays and evenings.
- Minimum physical requirements include but are not limited to: Ability to stand or be active for periods up to 6 hours; lift book or merchandise boxes; walk over uneven terrain; climb stairs.
- BA or equivalent work experience required; studies in retail and hospitality- or site-related fields a plus.
Minimum Education Required