1400 Parkmoor Avenue
Are you concerned about the educational future of the kids in our most vulnerable communities?
Are you a student, parent, or passionate individual looking for a job that allows you to get paid to do meaningful, social justice work?
Join our team at Innovate Public Schools in fighting for quality education in the Bay Area!
The crisis in public education in the Bay Area is a growing problem. Here in San Jose, less than 20% of of students with disabilities are proficient in the core subjects of English and Math. These outcomes continue to leave generations of students far behind and access to future economic opportunities out of reach.
Innovate Public Schools is working to be a part of the solution by collaborating with families in building a movement to change the outcomes for today’s disabled youth. Join a team that is driven by the collective mission of championing quality education for all!
Innovate Public Schools leverages a three-pronged approach to improving local schools:
- We provide parents in high-need communities leadership training and coaching so they can effectively advocate for better schools and sustain community efforts over the long-term.
- We publish easy-to-understand school quality data and research to inform the public about which schools are excelling and which are failing and to highlight the most effective solutions.
- We work with educators from both school districts and charter schools to start excellent new public schools and redesign chronically low-performing schools through our Start-up Schools Fellowship.
Training, needed resources and canvassing tracking/data management tools will be provided.
- Engage with parents and community members about the quality of their local public schools and new public school options coming to their area within the San Francisco community by canvassing via:
Door-knocking in neighborhoods
Canvassing at grocery stores
Tabling and approaching people to start conversations at public locations
Engaging community members at events, and
- Invite parents to attend local informational meetings during door-to-door work and in follow up phone calls
- Identify potential parent leaders who are interested in organizing as volunteers with Innovate to improve their local schools and advocate for more high quality school options
- Potential non-partisan electoral outreach
- Build relationships with small-business owners, community-based organizations and other stakeholders in order to reach more parents
- Identify potential locations for canvassing
- Collect and manage data, review for accuracy and complete daily and weekly reporting on field activities
- Support logistics at parent meetings and events
- Report weekly to and coordinate with assigned manager.Training, needed resources and canvassing tracking/data management tools will be provided.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills in person and on phone
- Advanced oral proficiency in Spanish required
- Ability to memorize a short script and adjust as needed to audience
- Open to learning and feedback
- Ability to meet reasonable number of dials per night/ door knocks per shift, to be determined
- Flexibility in work schedule and an ability to manage time independently
- Basic computer and smartphone skills
- Ability to work with Salesforce, voter data tracking programs
- Able to walk/stand for long periods of time (4-6 hrs/day)
- Punctuality – shifts have pre-set start times
- Positive attitude, detail-oriented, highly motivated and organized
- Ability to work respectfully with people of all cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Passionate about the mission and core values of Innovate Public Schools
- Previous canvassing experience (doors, phones or both), either in a paid or unpaid capacity, is preferred but not required
- Have access to and use of a vehicle and have a valid driver’s license (mileage will be reimbursed)
- Have access to and use of a smart phone
About Innovate Public Schools
Innovate Public Schools is a nonprofit organization focused on ensuring that all Bay Area students, including low-income students and students of color, receive an excellent education. We’re building a movement of families, educators, and business and elected leaders who together will make this vision a reality. We build the capacity of parents and educators to innovate and act together to create world-class public schools, and we publish easy-to-understand school quality data and research that highlights both problems and solutions.
Work Environment / Physical Demands
- Based out of our San Jose office.
- Approximately 20-30 hours/week, flexible depending on schedule.
The work environment characteristics and the physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while successfully performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Employee must also be able to walk and/or stand for long periods of time (up to 4-6 hours per day).
This position may require working varying hours including weekends, nights and holidays. It requires constant use of independent judgment, self motivation, and capability of doing all the above duties with minimal supervision.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the incumbent in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills.
Innovate Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer, and takes pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual English/Spanish required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and what you would bring to Innovate Public Schools along with your resume.