6330 South San Vicente Boulevard
Providing critical litigation support to Consumer Watchdog’s Litigation Project attorneys, who represent consumers in high-profile litigation before administrative agencies and in court on all of Consumer Watchdog’s core issues. This is a full-time position.
Day-to-day responsibilities will include:
- preparing and filing of legal pleadings with courts and administrative agencies;
- knowing and staying up-to-date on local court rules and procedures in California state and federal district courts;
- proofreading, cite checking and formatting final legal documents and correspondence in Microsoft Word;
- managing internal case files, including creating pleading indexes, organizing pleadings, and maintaining correspondence and research/notes files;
- performing factual and legal research, including client intake interviews;
- organizing, reviewing, and summarizing discovery documents;
- reviewing and running time billing reports;
- maintaining counsel/client database by case;
- maintaining litigation calendar;
- retrieving documents from court websites and online databases such as Westlaw; and
- other legal support tasks as needed.
Salary is competitive with other similar public interest organizations/law firms and the experience level sought; employer-paid health plan and life insurance are provided. Consumer Watchdog also offers a generous retirement savings plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
Candidates ideally will possess at least 2-4 years’ experience providing complex litigation administrative support, preferably in a public interest litigation setting or law firm; a desire to work in a collegial office environment with other public-interest minded individuals; a strong interest in consumer advocacy issues; and a willingness to learn and take on new challenges. Excellent computer research and word processing skills are required, including advanced proficiency in formatting legal documents in Microsoft Word and use of Excel. Must be very organized and able to work quickly and independently to meet litigation deadlines.
Minimum Education Required