ExpandED Schools is dedicated to closing the learning gap by increasing access to enriched education experiences. We give children more hours in the school day, bring more role models into the classroom, and infuse their learning with enrichments in literacy, STEM, arts, and sports and opportunities to build character and leadership skills. In our first decade, we created the nation’s first citywide system of K-12 after-school programs and leveraged more than $500 million in private and public funds. Today, we continue to reimagine learning time – in school, after school and during the summer – developing scalable and sustainable models that provide more quality learning. Since our founding in 1998, we have reached more than one million students and trained more than 30,000 educators and teachers. We:
- EXPAND the school day: Adding 2.5 hours each day; closing the learning gap by 450 hours/school year.
- ENGAGE the community: Bringing additional role models – tutors, coaches, college students and teaching artists – into the classroom.
- ENHANCE the learning: Balancing the curriculum with the arts, sports, STEM and character-building enrichments.
ExpandED Schools manages after-school program funding administered through the New York City Department of Youth & Community Development (DYCD) and supports after-school program services in collaboration with the New York City Department of Education’s Office of Community Schools (OCS). Program Managers work closely with school and community-based organization (CBO) teams in an effort to support after-school programs in their local schools that conform to ExpandED Schools, DYCD and OCS program quality standards.
Reporting to the Vice President of Program Excellence, the Program Manager will oversee a portfolio of approximately 25 after-school program sites. The Program Manager will serve as the primary liaison between ExpandED Schools, CBO partners, schools, and related organizations within the after-school and expanded learning time community. The Program Manager will serve as a resource and support to school-CBO teams to ensure students participate in high-quality activities that integrate what happens in the school day with less formal learning experiences in the after-school environment. The Program Manager will oversee after-school program budget review and approval for their respective portfolio, assess program quality through on-site observations, and formulate narrative feedback reports as required by ExpandED, DYCD, OCS and other funders.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Oversee all aspects of quality assurance at assigned school sites, including workscope and budget review, monitoring activity quality, student recruitment and attendance, after-school grantee compliance with Department of Education and Office of Children & Family Services regulations for childcare, health and safety, maintenance of program files, reports, and site visit records
- Coach and support after-school school teams consisting of community and school leaders in the implementation of a quality after-school program that includes academics, enrichment activities such as arts, sports, and STEM
- Conduct site visits to assess fidelity to the after-school model and identify opportunities for strengthening quality, and provide written feedback to after-school teams based to foster continuous improvement
- Facilitate reflection and planning sessions with school teams to support aligned actions toward common results and data-driven decision making
- Serve as a knowledge-base about after-school sites by providing qualitative and anecdotal data to shape ExpandED/DYCD/OCS policies as well as the growing field of after-school and expanded learning
- Organize meetings and institutes between ExpandED, after-school program sites and other stakeholders as needed
- Collaborate on special projects as needed
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree and at least three years of teaching or related experience in the youth services and/or education field required; Master’s degree a plus
- Experience supporting partnerships between schools and community organizations particularly in a coaching capacity, strongly preferred
- Commitment to collaboration and participating as a member of a team that recognizes that it is strengthened through its diversity
- Commitment to our mission to close the education gap
- Strong cultural competence with respect for and extensive knowledge of the cultures of the various stakeholders we work with and the communities we serve
- Experience delivering coaching/professional development
- Strong facilitation skills of large and small groups
- Strong computer skills, especially MS Office
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with a proven ability to execute tasks efficiently
- Expertise in using data to improve programs and instruction
- Ability to collaborate effectively with diverse stakeholders and execute projects independently
- Strong communication and facilitation skills; including clear and persuasive speaking and writing
- Flexibility, adaptability and comfort with complexity and change
- Willingness to travel throughout NYC for schools visits (up to 3-4 days per week)
ExpandED Schools offers a generous benefits package which includes:
- Full-time and eligible part-time employees receive medical, dental and vision plans for employees and dependents, largely subsidized by ExpandED Schools
- Health, dependent care and transit pre-tax accounts
- Employer-paid life insurance and supplemental disability coverage
- A generous paid time off package which includes 20 vacation days, 8 sick days, 4 personal days and 12 paid holidays (prorated for part-time staff)
- 403b retirement plan with eligibility for employer contribution of 5% of annual compensation after one year of employment (no match requirement)
- Commitment to work-life balance
- Partial tuition reimbursement offered to employees after one year of service
- Professional development opportunities, including funds to participate in external training and coaching opportunities
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org, Subject: Position Title. No faxes or phone calls, please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
ExpandED Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer.