Details: The compensation for the position is open, within an established range, depending upon qualifications and experience.
8383 Wilshire Boulevard
Lupus LA is seeking a new Executive Director to lead the organization into its next decade of expanded fund development, expanded program outreach, and research funding. This stage of Lupus LA’s development will be characterized by a strong focus on:
· expanding and strengthening relationships with donors and volunteers.
· evaluating and enhancing fund development areas.
· expanding and developing the Board.
· the creation of a corporate council to continue the growth in the corporate and pharmaceutical sectors.
The E.D. will be responsible for developing and leading a diverse and sustainable fund development program to support the mission and goals of Lupus LA in the Greater Los Angeles and Southern California area with eventual expansion into the San Diego and Las Vegas markets. The E.D. will provide strong leadership to the Board development process and implement new areas of growth in fundraising, education, advocacy and awareness to serve the diverse population of people with lupus and their families.
We are seeking a self-confident, enthusiastic, highly organized, and collaborative professional to join our successful team and play an integral role in leading the mission and work of the organization. This role is an exciting opportunity for the right individual who is both entrepreneurial and creative. This position reports to the Board Chairman, but works closely with leadership and other stakeholders.
Created in 2000, Lupus LA is a non-profit healthcare organization dedicated to finding the causes of and a cure for lupus while providing support, services and hope to all who have lupus. Lupus LA serves the needs of people with lupus and their families in the Greater Los Angeles County and across Southern California by promoting lupus awareness and education, while working with lupus patients and their families to better manage their disease and enhance their quality of life. With an operating budget of approximately $1.5M and a full-time staff of five, Lupus LA raises funds for three core values: supporting medical research, providing patient services, and promoting awareness, education, and advocacy. Lupus LA is an equal opportunity employer. For more information on the organization, please visit www.lupusla.org.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
Management and Administration
- Oversee the administration of Lupus LA, including financial management and human resources.
- Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate performance of all staff and consultants.
- Develop and direct the implementation of goals, objectives, policies, procedures and work standards.
- Has primary accountability for the financial and resource stewardship of the organization.
- Prepare and administer a balanced budget.
- Authorize and approve expenditures in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Ensure the maintenance of an effective accounting system for income and expenditures.
- Ensure oversight of activities that meet the requirements of donors, funding agencies, professional organizations and other outside agencies.
- Monitor appropriate financial compliance, reporting and auditing activities to ensure the financial integrity and viability of the organization and Board-authorized programs.
- Direct and diversify Lupus LA’s fundraising program for sustainable growth.
- Develop and implement fundraising plans for Board approval and create and test new fundraising strategies.
- In partnership with the Board, cultivate and solicit major gifts from individuals, foundations and corporations.
- Fully support Board and volunteer efforts to identify and cultivate new donors by developing materials, researching donor prospects and providing strategic advice.
Special Events & Marketing
- Ensure effective planning and implementation of all special event and marketing activities. These include:
- Hollywood Bag Ladies Luncheon
- Orange Ball
- Patient-Focused Community Event
- Facilitate the development of marketing plans as needed.
- Support special event committees as needed.
- Cultivate and engage in celebrity involvement.
- Assist with the identification, cultivation and solicitation of event sponsorships.
- Work with staff and Board to assess current programs and develop ideas for program changes or new programs.
- Oversee fulfillment of patient services activities which include:
- Support Groups
- Patient Navigation
- Financial Support
- Patient Conferences
- Provide support and assistance to achieve program objectives.
· Support collaborative community partnerships at all levels.
- Support and promote a focus and understanding of Lupus LA’s mission.
- Ensure the dissemination of information about Lupus LA to stakeholders, the general public, diverse audiences, business and media.
- Participate in development of and approve all communications and public relations campaigns for Lupus LA.
- Develop programs to sustain Lupus LA’s image to external publics.
- Provide strong leadership to the Board development process.
- Assist with recruitment, cultivation and maintenance of a core group of broad-based volunteers who will lead the advancement of the organization’s mission, fundraising and program development.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
We seek a knowledgeable, seasoned nonprofit executive who is able to lead and manage the next phase of Lupus LA’s growth. Personable and resourceful, he/she will be a savvy relationship builder, strategic thinker and a “go-getter”. The ideal candidate should have a demonstrated ability to:
· Work successfully with an active and engaged board of directors.
· Communicate effectively with internal and external audiences.
· Build broad alliances and collaborative partnerships.
· Lead strategically and implement tactically.
Education and Experience
- A minimum of 7-10 years of increased leadership responsibility and proven nonprofit management experience is preferable.
- Successful track record of cultivating and soliciting major gifts from individual, institutional and corporate donors.
- Demonstrated marketing and special events experience is desirable.
· College degree required; post-graduate work a plus.
Knowledge and Skills
· Ability to recruit, engage, and motivate committed members of the Board and other key volunteers.
· Proven fundraising and senior management experience.
· Successful track record of personally identifying, cultivating and soliciting major individual and institutional donors and overseeing fundraising events.
· Demonstrated marketing savvy and the entrepreneurial ability to recognize and respond quickly to new opportunities.
The ideal candidate should have/be:
- A genuine interest and enthusiasm for the mission and activities of the organization.
- An effective communicator who is articulate and persuasive, with well-honed relationship-building skills.
- Team-oriented, proactive with hands-on style.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills with ability to lead and manage staff and build a dynamic team of professionals.
In addition, he/she should be able to:
- Establish priorities and adjust organizational activities as appropriate.
- Lead by example.
- Adjust personal style and communications to match situation demands.
- Take a long-term view, while obtaining short-term results.
- Maintain strong staff-Board relationships.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
This is a full-time position with occasional weekend and evening hours as necessary. Benefits include medical, vision and dental plans; vacation and sick pay; and a flex pay program. The compensation for the position is open, within an established range, depending upon qualifications and experience.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates should submit a resume with cover letter with references to email@example.com. Please include “Executive Director” in the subject line. Please, no calls.
This is a full-time position with occasional weekend and evening hours as necessary. Benefits include medical, vision and dental plans; vacation and sick pay; and a flex pay program.
Minimum Education Required