Are you searching for a job with purpose? This is your opportunity to contribute your skills and passion to a national non-profit working to build better lives for individuals and families with mental illness.
NAMI (the National Alliance on Mental Illness) is the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to improving the lives of the millions of Americans affected by mental illness. Since NAMI’s beginning in 1979, we have established ourselves through dedication, commitment and an unceasing belief in our mission to strengthen communities and help those in need. The heart of NAMI is our unrivaled grassroots network of volunteers in communities across the nation. Through our united support, education, advocacy and awareness efforts, NAMI is at the forefront, a recognized force in urging new ideas and solutions to improve lives.
Our Support, Technical Assistance & Resource (STAR) Center was founded in 2004 and was designed to help improve and increase the capacity of consumer-operated programs to meet the needs of persons living with mental health conditions in diverse communities. The STAR Center is funded by the federal Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) to promote self-help in the planning, delivery and evaluation of mental health services.
We currently have an opening for the Director, STAR Center. The Director assists consumer-operated organizations develop infrastructure, organizational sustainability and capacity in advancing consumer driven approaches in designated areas of the country. The Director also provides national technical assistance in youth leadership development and areas related to systems transformation towards recovery and consumer directed approaches. Finally, the Director has responsibility for the overall design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of grant activities consistent with NAMI’s mission and SAMHSA requirements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Designs, oversees and evaluates project activities
- Works with Senior Project Manager to ensure full compliance with the terms of the CMHS National Consumer & Consumer Support Technical Assistance Centers grant and SAMHSA grant requirements, including oversight of grant allocations, reporting and annual renewal processes
- Works with Senior Project Manager to develop and disseminate one-on-one and group support, technical assistance and resource to assist consumer-operated organizations to develop infrastructure, organizational sustainability and capacity for involvement in state and local systems transformation initiatives.
- Oversees program activities, ensuring integration and alignment with NAMI and grant goals and objectives
- Presents and participates in meetings and conferences, representing the STAR Center and the other SAMHSA National Consumer and Consumer-Supporter Technical Assistance Centers.
- Contributes to the formation, interpretation and promotion of policies related to improving mental health service delivery and disseminates tools, resources and information in support of this focus
- Works with consumers, cooperating services providers/ agencies and various stakeholders to improve policies and strategies in support of best practices and standards that help promote recovery and full integration of people with psychiatric disabilities in the community
- Supervises Senior Project Manager
Knowledge of the following:
Organizational development and sustainability
Youth leadership development
Cultural competence (individual, programmatic and systemic/policy)
Recovery-oriented systems transformation approaches and policy analysis
History of mental health consumer/survivor/ex-patient movement
Fundamentals of peer support (values, core standards, core competencies and program design)
Consultation skills (assessment, planning, interventions, exit)
Public speaking and writing
Federal grants management and reporting
Group and meeting facilitation
Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s Degree preferred.
Lived experience preferred.
10+ years of related experience
Strong computer skills required for full office suite products, primarily Word, Excel, PowerPoint, electronic newsletter, website content management, social media, virtual web platform
Fluent written and verbal skills in English; bilingual capacity preferred
Must pass background check.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual capacity preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please visit http://nami.applicantpro.com/jobs/.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V